+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child birth in canada

akasharda

Oct 26, 2019
Hi All,

We are having a baby in mid-september. We need guidance to understand on the health services, citizenship and other benefits in Canada.

We received our PR in Jan 2020 and were planning to move to Canada in June 2020. We are Indian citizens but staying in UK for more than 1 year. We are yet to decide location to move in Canada as I am still searching for job. Being in IT, i am expecting it to be in Ontario. Since, we are expecting a baby in mid-september, i am concerned about the delivery and the health services (like OHIP). If we move in June (assuming 1st week), we would have only 3.5 months before delivery. Reading other forum posts, i understand that it would take approx. 3months to get enrolled for health benefits, which is very near to delivery date. I also read it would cost us about $10-20k if we dont get insurance.

However, i am not clear on few other things, for which i need guidance:
a. Will the child get canadian citizenship if born in canada as we already have PR?
b. Can we start the OHIP registration process as soon as we land?
c. I have read that the person are required to be tax-payer to apply for OHIP. Is this correct understanding? If so how do we prove the same?
d. Can we somehow fast track the OHIP request? though i know that it is not possible.
e. Is there any insurance that i can buy to cover child birth, in case of emergency?
f. Is there any other province which can provide faster health registration? I can plan to find job in that province.

If we plan to have delivery outside Canada, either in UK or India, then can someone please guide the process to get the PR for the baby? Is there any benefit in process in choosing India or UK?

Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,

We are having a baby in mid-september. We need guidance to understand on the health services, citizenship and other benefits in Canada.

We received our PR in Jan 2020 and were planning to move to Canada in June 2020. We are Indian citizens but staying in UK for more than 1 year. We are yet to decide location to move in Canada as I am still searching for job. Being in IT, i am expecting it to be in Ontario. Since, we are expecting a baby in mid-september, i am concerned about the delivery and the health services (like OHIP). If we move in June (assuming 1st week), we would have only 3.5 months before delivery. Reading other forum posts, i understand that it would take approx. 3months to get enrolled for health benefits, which is very near to delivery date. I also read it would cost us about $10-20k if we dont get insurance.

a. Will the child get canadian citizenship if born in canada as we already have PR?
c. I have read that the person are required to be tax-payer to apply for OHIP. Is this correct understanding? If so how do we prove the same?
d. Can we somehow fast track the OHIP request? though i know that it is not possible.
e. Is there any insurance that i can buy to cover child birth, in case of emergency?
f. Is there any other province which can provide faster health registration? I can plan to find job in that province.

If we plan to have delivery outside Canada, either in UK or India, then can someone please guide the process to get the PR for the baby? Is there any benefit in process in choosing India or UK?

Thanks.

A.Yes
B. Yes if you are permanently moving to Ontario and plan to meet the OHIP residency rules including not being gone for more than 1 month in the first 6 months and spending 6 out of 12 months in Ontario.
C. No you don’t already need to be a tax payer.
D. No you will have to wait 6 months
E. No. Delivery is a sure thing so why would insurance cover it if there is no risk involved.
F. Yes but you would have to commit to living there for a minimum of 6 months or else could be asked to pay back all the healthcare expenses you used. Given you are in IT getting a job in many of the provinces except Quebec may be very difficult. Moving and setting up in a home is very expensive and you could end up unemployed for 6 months. It would likely be cheaper to risk delivering in Ontario and paying for your care for 3 months. You will also not qualify for maternity leave payments because you have not been working in Canada for 600 hours before going on maternity leave. Have you researched the cost of childcare for babies if you plan to return to work and not take 1 year off?

A pr must sponsor their child from Canada. You must be compliant with your residency obligation which means you must be able to live in Canada for 2 out of the 5 years starting in January 2020. You can try to get a TRV for your child so they can come with you to Canada. If your child was a UK citizen they could arrive with just an ETA and you could sponsor them in Canada. In many provinces they would not have healthcare until close to PR approval.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi All,

Thanks.
If you choose to have the child outside of Canada, be prepared for the family to be separated for up to a year. You could try for a TRV and a TRP for the child but it may be refused, meaning that the child would have to remain out of Canada until PR. The sponsoring parent would have to be IN Canada throughout the sponsorship process.

akasharda

Oct 26, 2019
Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I didnt understand your point " Given you are in IT getting a job in many of the provinces except Quebec may be very difficult ". I understood that finding IT job in many provinces would be relatively easy. Is that you are also saying?

Also, if you know which provinces would be faster to get medical health registered? Yes, we understand we would full-fill the commit of the health coverage. At least better than going through the longer and complicated PR process for the newborn.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I didnt understand your point " Given you are in IT getting a job in many of the provinces except Quebec may be very difficult ". I understood that finding IT job in many provinces would be relatively easy. Is that you are also saying?

Also, if you know which provinces would be faster to get medical health registered? Yes, we understand we would full-fill the commit of the health coverage. At least better than going through the longer and complicated PR process for the newborn.
Most IT jobs are definitely concentrated in Ontario, Quebec and BC. Most companies have a small IT department to maintain their IT infrastructure but I would not encourage software engineers to move to AB, SK, MB and the Maritimes unless they were moving for family reasons.

You can search all the provinces. Without actually finding a job for 6 months it doesn’t actually make sense to move to these provinces. Do you have a spouse? What industry are they in?