+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child Benefit for Children Abroad

Laugreen

Apr 22, 2019
I am a single parent who has recently moved to Canada with my kids as PR and stayed 10 months in Canada. My kids are struggling to adapt and adjust especially with school so I had to move them back home to continue schooling abroad for now. I am employed in Canada so I can't be with them as they are enrolled in boarding school and I have to meet the residency requirements for PR to be eligible for citizenship. Am I still entitled to child benefit? I have been receiving this while they were here in Canada. Do I have to inform CRA?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
As a parent who has 2 children who are currently not in Canada, you are not eligible for it. I reported it to CRA right away. Prepare for large penalties if you do not report it.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I am a single parent who has recently moved to Canada with my kids as PR and stayed 10 months in Canada. My kids are struggling to adapt and adjust especially with school so I had to move them back home to continue schooling abroad for now. I am employed in Canada so I can't be with them as they are enrolled in boarding school and I have to meet the residency requirements for PR to be eligible for citizenship. Am I still entitled to child benefit? I have been receiving this while they were here in Canada. Do I have to inform CRA?
So you were receiving the "benefit", while they were in Canada with you, and I assume that you have notified the Government that the children have left the country, and you have requested the benefit to be stopped, correct ?
Your situation has now changed in regards to your children, so you have a legal obligation to inform the government. People inform the government when they are eligible, the reverse now holds. If you haven't be prepared to pay it back. as mentioned above.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - you are not entitled to the child benefit if they leave Canada. Yes - you must inform CRA when they leave.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
And just to reiterate what has already been said, you have been illegally claiming child benefit. You were legally required to inform CRA of when your children left. You need to inform CRA now and will be required to pay back all benefit received since they left.

Reactions: YVR123