+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child benefit and Tax filing for newcomer

Sajid3157

Sep 13, 2012
I am a newcomer to Canada as permanent resident along with my spouse and a 3 year old daughter with same status. We all landed in Toronto on 9th April, 2016 and left on 18th April, 2016 to Saudi Arabia where I was working. We all finally left Saudi Arabia earlier this year and ultimately landed again in Toronto on 27th April, 2017 with intention to permanent settle over here. We are still in settling phase in Canada and neither me nor my spouse are working here.

I intend to apply for child benefit for my daughter. I also came to know from someone over here that since we landed in Canada in April, 2016, we need to file tax for last year prior to applying for child benefit. I would appreciate if I get answers for the following:

1.) Am I eligible to do apply for child benefit immediately?

2.) Is it more preferable for my spouse as a mother (over myself as a father) to apply for child benefit?

3.) Is it necessary to file tax for last year before applying for child benefit?

4.) Am I considered as resident for tax purpose for the year of 2016 since we did first landing (for 9 days only) at this time?

5.) Do I have to pay tax on income from abroad which I had until end of 2016?

6.) If I have to pay tax on my income from abroad, would the child benefit be calculated and effective from last year's landing date or current year landing date?

7.) Is there any reliable organization in Toronto who can support with information and application?

Looking forward to get feedback for above clarifications.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
I am a newcomer to Canada as permanent resident along with my spouse and a 3 year old daughter with same status. We all landed in Toronto on 9th April, 2016 and left on 18th April, 2016 to Saudi Arabia where I was working. We all finally left Saudi Arabia earlier this year and ultimately landed again in Toronto on 27th April, 2017 with intention to permanent settle over here. We are still in settling phase in Canada and neither me nor my spouse are working here.

I intend to apply for child benefit for my daughter. I also came to know from someone over here that since we landed in Canada in April, 2016, we need to file tax for last year prior to applying for child benefit. I would appreciate if I get answers for the following:

1.) Am I eligible to do apply for child benefit immediately?

2.) Is it more preferable for my spouse as a mother (over myself as a father) to apply for child benefit?

3.) Is it necessary to file tax for last year before applying for child benefit?

4.) Am I considered as resident for tax purpose for the year of 2016 since we did first landing (for 9 days only) at this time?

5.) Do I have to pay tax on income from abroad which I had until end of 2016?

6.) If I have to pay tax on my income from abroad, would the child benefit be calculated and effective from last year's landing date or current year landing date?

7.) Is there any reliable organization in Toronto who can support with information and application?

Looking forward to get feedback for above clarifications.
1) Yes, you are eligible now that you are residing here.
2) The CRA allows one parent to apply, and usually prefers the wife to be the primary applicant.
3) No, this is not required as you were not a tax resident in Canada. However, you will have to disclose your income from last year on the application form.
4) No.
5) No
6) N/A
7) Ask any accountant