+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child benefit application

lego9247

Aug 10, 2017
Hi, my wire is Canadian citizen and I am PR. She was non-resident and I did a short landing in 2017 and stayed for one week only. Then, we came to Canada for good last week. We would like to apply child benefit for our kids. In the application, we are required to provide our income last year, that we earned in our home country. The income had been filed and tax was paid in our home country. My question is will we need pay income tax if we reported them in the application form? Thanks.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Hi, my wire is Canadian citizen and I am PR. She was non-resident and I did a short landing in 2017 and stayed for one week only. Then, we came to Canada for good last week. We would like to apply child benefit for our kids. In the application, we are required to provide our income last year, that we earned in our home country. The income had been filed and tax was paid in our home country. My question is will we need pay income tax if we reported them in the application form? Thanks.
No, you won't have to pay any tax on the income that you previously earned.

lego9247

Aug 10, 2017
Thanks for your reply. Further to my question, the date of becoming residents is Jun this year rather than 2017, right? Secondly, the amount of the benefit will depend on our earnings in our home country last year?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Thanks for your reply. Further to my question, the date of becoming residents is Jun this year rather than 2017, right? Secondly, the amount of the benefit will depend on our earnings in our home country last year?
Yes you became a resident last week only.

Yes the amount will depend on your earnings from your home country.

lego9247

Aug 10, 2017
Thanks for your reply. If our earrings in our home country are too high that no child benefit is granted, should we still submit application?

IReev

Apr 12, 2020
Hi, We landed as PR in 2015 July, spent 2 months in Canada and left. We got back in October 2017, got a house and establish residency. We are currently applying for CCB.
We filed 2017 tax as Zero income as we came with funds, and did not work in Canada that year. CCB form requires 2016 foreign income which We did not file taxes in Canada, and 2017 tax filling was zero income.
Do were record zero in both cases?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, We landed as PR in 2015 July, spent 2 months in Canada and left. We got back in October 2017, got a house and establish residency. We are currently applying for CCB.
We filed 2017 tax as Zero income as we came with funds, and did not work in Canada that year. CCB form requires 2016 foreign income which We did not file taxes in Canada, and 2017 tax filling was zero income.
Do were record zero in both cases?
It doesn't matter that you didn't file taxes in Canada in 2016 or that you declared zero income in 2017. You are required to fully declare your foreign income from BOTH 2016 and 2017 for the CCB calculation. Failure to do so is benefit fraud.

Reactions: jddd

IReev

Apr 12, 2020
It doesn't matter that you didn't file taxes in Canada in 2016 or that you declared zero income in 2017. You are required to fully declare your foreign income from BOTH 2016 and 2017 for the CCB calculation. Failure to do so is benefit fraud.
Thank you Canuck for the prompt response.
For further clarification, We are willing to declare the foreign income for 2016 and 2017. Not just for purpose of the CCB, but to keep the records straight as we were ill advised on the zero filing for 2017 by filling agent, being our first filling and we never earned an income n Canada.

1. How do we go about resolving the zero foreign income in 2017 filling?
2. Or can that be done alongside the CCB application?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
For further clarification, We are willing to declare the foreign income for 2016 and 2017. Not just for purpose of the CCB, but to keep the records straight as we were ill advised on the zero filing for 2017 by filling agent, being our first filling and we never earned an income n Canada.

agree with canuck and it is not about being "willing" to declare, you MUST declare, else the benefits will be on hold until you do. Call CRA to update your income.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

1. You weren't ill advised and there is nothing to resolve in your tax return. You were not required to declare foreign income earned before becoming a tax resident in Canada.

2. There is a form that you fill out with your CCB app to declare the foreign income.

IReev

Apr 12, 2020
1. You weren't ill advised and there is nothing to resolve in your tax return. You were not required to declare foreign income earned before becoming a tax resident in Canada.

2. There is a form that you fill out with your CCB app to declare the foreign income.
agree with canuck and it is not about being "willing" to declare, you MUST declare, else the benefits will be on hold until you do. Call CRA to update your income.
Thanks Jddd

IReev

Apr 12, 2020

Do you have a link to the form please. I read up somewhere that the 2016 can be Efiled, and 2017 can be corrected if it was Efiled also

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Do you have a link to the form please. I read up somewhere that the 2016 can be Efiled, and 2017 can be corrected if it was Efiled also
You don't e-file anything. As I said, your taxes were filed correctly. When you submit the CCB app, there is an additional form that you include where you declare your foreign income.