+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Checklist" Question for Sponsor: "Proof that you will live in Canada with spouse" ?

LongBill

Star Member
Aug 3, 2020
Florida, USA
Category........
FAM
Question on the Document Checklist (IMM 5533).

Under requirements for the Sponsor (who is my wife, a Canadian citizen) it asks if the sponsor is a Canadian citizen living outside Canada. In our case the answer is "Yes". My wife emigrated to the USA some years ago for us to be together (USA). In the "Yes" case the sponsor must "provide proof that you will live in Canada with your spouse [the Primary Applicant, me] once they become permanent residents of Canada."

The long thread on Spousal Sponsorship addresses this in the first post (in the last but one paragraph) with some suggestions as to what this "proof" might consist of: "Such proof can include having arranged jobs, being accepted to college, having arranged housing or letters from friends & relatives stating that they know of your plans and that you can stay with them while you look for housing etc. "

I am retired, my wife does not work, we have no intention of working or going to school. We are looking at homes to buy but that is some time off (and that's a big commitment to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a home if my application is rejected...not that I really expect it to be). We have bought a cemetery plot for the two of us!

I'd rather stay away from the "letter from a relative" thing. I don't want to involve family.

Any recommendations on how to "prove" the intended move to live in Canada?

(as an aside, perhaps the instructions just want to ensure that the Sponsor will be going back to Canada with the Principal Applicant. I suppose there might be a possibility of that not being the case.)

Last edited:

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Yes, the point is they want the sponsor to return to Canada with you. You've seen the list of things they're looking for: looking for a house in Canada, selling your house in the US, etc.