+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Checking in after the first year in Canada!

PetCoke

Mar 14, 2017
I'm realizing it's been (a bit more than) a year since me and my wife arrived in Toronto.
The transition during the first months wasn't easy, with a lot of lessons, but net net a positive experience I don't regret.

I started to work at a retail store two weeks after landing -- I had never done such kind of jobs before in my life. It was a humbling experience that thought me a lot. But after 6 months and a lot of efforts, I found employment in my field of professional expertise.

I just wanted to share a bit of my personal experience here. I know that some of the stories out there are not fairy tales, and I don't want to offend anyone in any way with this post. But I'm really curious and would like to know if anyone wants to share their stories after their first year in this Country?. Hopefully, it would give an idea of what to expect for those who are posting in this forum and hoping to land in the future.
Cheers!

Reactions: nns14 and Melchett

akkoajangajang

Star Member
Jan 10, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-01-2019
Nomination.....
30-01-2019
AOR Received.
01-03-2019
Med's Done....
12-04-2019
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
13-06-2019
LANDED..........
30-09-2019
I’m curious: what line of work are you in?

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
Moved to toronto Nov 16th 2018. Was pretty easy for me to find a job in my area as I was in a senior IT role. Attended 6 in person interviews in december/Jan and signed an offer a week ago. Salary is almost same as I was making in the usa.
I've seen guys who have been here for 5 plus yrs work in stores or drive uber. Probably not putting in enough efforts to find a job I guess.

akkoajangajang

Star Member
Jan 10, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-01-2019
Nomination.....
30-01-2019
AOR Received.
01-03-2019
Med's Done....
12-04-2019
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
13-06-2019
LANDED..........
30-09-2019
Moved to toronto Nov 16th 2018. Was pretty easy for me to find a job in my area as I was in a senior IT role. Attended 6 in person interviews in december/Jan and signed an offer a week ago. Salary is almost same as I was making in the usa.
I've seen guys who have been here for 5 plus yrs work in stores or drive uber. Probably not putting in enough efforts to find a job I guess.
Hmm you got the same salary as you did in the USA? That’s surprising (in a good way). All the research I’ve done for my field (mobile app development, ~4 years experience) indicates I’ll have to take a significant pay cut.

Did you apply through headhunting companies like Randstadt?

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
Hmm you got the same salary as you did in the USA? That’s surprising (in a good way). All the research I’ve done for my field (mobile app development, ~4 years experience) indicates I’ll have to take a significant pay cut.

Did you apply through headhunting companies like Randstadt?
No just indeed.ca. my company has its hq in usa so maybe they have equivalent salaries for the same position.

Reactions: akkoajangajang

prpurohit

Mar 12, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
4th June, 2018
Med's Done....
15th june
Passport Req..
27th September
I'm realizing it's been (a bit more than) a year since me and my wife arrived in Toronto.
The transition during the first months wasn't easy, with a lot of lessons, but net net a positive experience I don't regret.

I started to work at a retail store two weeks after landing -- I had never done such kind of jobs before in my life. It was a humbling experience that thought me a lot. But after 6 months and a lot of efforts, I found employment in my field of professional expertise.

I just wanted to share a bit of my personal experience here. I know that some of the stories out there are not fairy tales, and I don't want to offend anyone in any way with this post. But I'm really curious and would like to know if anyone wants to share their stories after their first year in this Country?. Hopefully, it would give an idea of what to expect for those who are posting in this forum and hoping to land in the future.
Cheers!

Hi, this is a great thread. Could you share a little more about your job search phase. Any mistakes you made initially that can be avoided by new immigrants? In retrospect, what are the things you did that got you the job in your field?

clguy

Apr 7, 2017

Cheers!
Very good thread. It is very important to think about life after being successful in getting PPR, landing and to give people hope about getting good paying jobs.