Sep 21, 2010
US
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
hi guys this might be a silly idea but here it goes:

i'm living in US for many years and have accumulated quite a bit of everyday stuff. (once i get canada PR) i feel it easier to take all of it to canada instead of selling it or shipping it back to my home country half way around the globe ... but i'll have to keep leaving canada for many months every year so a rented house/apartment is not an option ...

what do you guys think if i "buy" a cheap cottage somewhat far from toronto or some big city and use it as a storage place ... by cheap i mean around the POF mark (or a little more than that) ... i have the following concerns:

- whether i'd really find a place that cheap
- how much property tax i'd have to pay (i hope it would be negligible if it's a remote area)
- how much risk of my stuff getting stolen (though there's nothing valuable in it)

any comments (especially from seniors appreciated) ?

any better option of having my stuff stored? i know there's rental storage boxes so that's another option

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
By keeping a home or leaving personal belongings in Canada, you can become a resident for tax purposes. For property taxes and home prices, you can check www.mls.ca. Alternatively, you can rent mini storage across Canada to store your personal items.

danhass said:
hi guys this might be a silly idea but here it goes:

i'm living in US for many years and have accumulated quite a bit of everyday stuff. (once i get canada PR) i feel it easier to take all of it to canada instead of selling it or shipping it back to my home country half way around the globe ... but i'll have to keep leaving canada for many months every year so a rented house/apartment is not an option ...

what do you guys think if i "buy" a cheap cottage somewhat far from toronto or some big city and use it as a storage place ... by cheap i mean around the POF mark (or a little more than that) ... i have the following concerns:

- whether i'd really find a place that cheap
- how much property tax i'd have to pay (i hope it would be negligible if it's a remote area)
- how much risk of my stuff getting stolen (though there's nothing valuable in it)

any comments (especially from seniors appreciated) ?

any better option of having my stuff stored? i know there's rental storage boxes so that's another option

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do you mean $20 or $30K? I don't think you can even find land that cheap. Maybe in a really really remote part of Ontario (remote = more than six our drive from Toronto).

Have you tried mls.ca to see what you can find?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Here's an example of one for $20K. It's in Deep River (about six hours from Toronto). It's a trailer rather than a house.

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=10517585&PidKey=-1611404163

Taxes aren't listed on this specific mls listing (they usually are).

Note that lawyer costs, transfer tax, etc. will add a couple of thousand to the purchase price.

danhass

Sep 21, 2010
US
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
thanks for the advice guys

it seems like renting a small storage box would be a better idea ... any recommendations about the company?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There are several different companies. I would suggest that you wait until you're here and they pick one that's close by. The price you pay per month will depend on how large a locker you rent, if you want one that's heated, etc.

Here are a few links:

http://www.applestorage.com/

http://www.canada-storage.com/

danhass

Sep 21, 2010
US
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
scylla said:
There are several different companies. I would suggest that you wait until you're here and they pick one that's close by. The price you pay per month will depend on how large a locker you rent, if you want one that's heated, etc.

Here are a few links:

http://www.applestorage.com/

http://www.canada-storage.com/
thanks @scylla ... of course I'm gonna wait for getting my PR first ...

appreciate your comments folks ...