+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Charitable and Religious Workers

fbf2006

Nov 29, 2007
I just have a random question in trying to understand this classification. According to CIC, these workers don't need an LMO in order to get a work permit. So for example, would World Vision Canada need to submit an LMO for say, an accountant?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

fbf2006 said:
I just have a random question in trying to understand this classification. According to CIC, these workers don't need an LMO in order to get a work permit. So for example, would World Vision Canada need to submit an LMO for say, an accountant?
Yes

"5.13. Work without a work permit R186(l)—Clergy
R186(l) applies to persons whose employment will consist mainly of preaching of doctrine,
presiding at liturgical functions or providing spiritual counselling, either as an ordained minister, a
lay person, or a member of a religious order.
See Section 5.38, Charitable and religious work R205(d), C50
Persons seeking entry under the authority of R186(l) should be able to provide documentation to
support their request for entry that addresses:
• the genuineness of the offer of employment of the religious denomination that seeks to
employ them, and
• their ability to minister to a congregation under the auspices of that religious denomination."

PMM

fbf2006

Nov 29, 2007
PMM, thanks. I'm not talking about religious/charitable workers that don't require a work permit, that's different. I'm referring to those that need a work permit but not an LMO. I know there are 2 separate situations. The one you quoted for me is referring to those who will mainly be preaching and those don't require a work permit at all. How about those that require a work permit but not an LMO (these are not preachers and others like them, but other religious/charitable workers)?

Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

fbf2006 said:
PMM, thanks. I'm not talking about religious/charitable workers that don't require a work permit, that's different. I'm referring to those that need a work permit but not an LMO. I know there are 2 separate situations. The one you quoted for me is referring to those who will mainly be preaching and those don't require a work permit at all. How about those that require a work permit but not an LMO (these are not preachers and others like them, but other religious/charitable workers)?

Thanks.
The work would have to fit into the following

"An applicant may be considered to be engaging in charitable or religious work if they meet the
following conditions:
the individual will not receive remuneration, other than a small stipend for living expenses;
• the organization or institution which is sponsoring the foreign worker will not, itself, receive
direct remuneration from any source on behalf of, or for, the services rendered by the foreign
worker; and
• the work goes above and beyond normal work in the labour market, whether remunerated in
some manner or not, for example:
♦ organizations which gather volunteer workers to paint or repair the houses of the poor
may qualify, provided that the work would not otherwise be done, i.e. if the recipients of
this work are not able to hire a professional or do the work themselves.
♦ L’Arche, which relies on people to live full-time in a group home with people who have
developmental disabilities; (Workers in the homes are remunerated, but they are
committed to taking care of the disabled people on almost a 24-hour basis.)
♦ persons who are giving their time to community or religious organizations in a position
which would not represent a real employment opportunity for Canadians or permanent
residents. (Such work would entail a requirement to be part of, or share the beliefs of, the
particular religious community in which they are working.)"
Fee exempt.

PMM