lellis2

Nov 20, 2016
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

I am expecting to be drawn in the next pool based on my EE points allocation. I am currently in Canada on a study permit (expires April 31, 2017) and will be submitting my PR prior to then.

Questions:
1.) Does it behoove me to apply for a visitors permit before my study permit expires so that I'm here legally when CIC processes my PR application?
2.) Do I not even have to change my status as I will be given "implied" status in the form of an OWP? I'm American so I'm not sure if this is an option....

Please help and THANK YOU! This forum has been awesome and a real help.

sby123

Star Member
Feb 13, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
05-02-2017
Med's Done....
02-03-2017
I'm also in the same boat, I'd like to know what other senior members think about this?
I've actually applied for my PR(Got my AOR 3 weeks ago) but my current Study Permit will expire in July 27th 2017 and I won't be able to apply for PGWP as I've already had it before.
Has anyone ever come across this situation before?
Thanks

lellis2

Nov 20, 2016
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sby123 said:
I'm also in the same boat, I'd like to know what other senior members think about this?
I've actually applied for my PR(Got my AOR 3 weeks ago) but my current Study Permit will expire in July 27th 2017 and I won't be able to apply for PGWP as I've already had it before.
Has anyone ever come across this situation before?
Thanks
Hi sby123, I was reading online since we haven't heard here and I will plan on having everything in (PR Application, OWP) in by the time my study permit expires. You should be good if you apply for an OWP by the time your study permit expires...while it is processing at CIC you will have "implied status"

Can any other (senior) members fact check this and let me know what your thoughts are? Would be much appreciated!

PS: Got my ITA today!!!!!!!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
lellis2 said:
1.) Does it behoove me to apply for a visitors permit before my study permit expires so that I'm here legally when CIC processes my PR application?
2.) Do I not even have to change my status as I will be given "implied" status in the form of an OWP? I'm American so I'm not sure if this is an option....
How are you going to be applying for an OWP? To qualify for a BOWP, you must already hold a valid work permit AND have either passed the R10 completeness check or have a positive eligibility assessment on your PR app.

Are you referring to applying for a PGWP?

lellis2

Nov 20, 2016
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
How are you going to be applying for an OWP? To qualify for a BOWP, you must already hold a valid work permit AND have either passed the R10 completeness check or have a positive eligibility assessment on your PR app.

Are you referring to applying for a PGWP?
No, I will be withdrawn from my (Canadian) Ph.D. program as of April 31, 2017. Since you need to have eligible TRV status to apply for an OWP I was planning on applying alongside my PR application before my study permit expires on April 31, 2017. I referenced this site here (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=177&top=17). I should be eligible since I'm applying from within canada and will be applying while I still have a valid permit?

Thanks for your reply, canuck_in_uk. Hopefully my reply makes sense and I'm on the right path! Look forward to hearing what you have to say.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
lellis2 said:
No, I will be withdrawn from my (Canadian) Ph.D. program as of April 31, 2017. Since you need to have eligible TRV status to apply for an OWP I was planning on applying alongside my PR application before my study permit expires on April 31, 2017. I referenced this site here (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=177&top=17). I should be eligible since I'm applying from within canada and will be applying while I still have a valid permit?

Thanks for your reply, canuck_in_uk. Hopefully my reply makes sense and I'm on the right path! Look forward to hearing what you have to say.
A TRV has nothing to do with qualifying for an OWP.

As stated on that page, a person in such a situation MAY be eligible but there are still more specific requirements that must be met. Simply submitting a PR app does NOT qualify you for an OWP. From the information you've provided, I can't see how you qualify.

lellis2

Nov 20, 2016
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
A TRV has nothing to do with qualifying for an OWP.

As stated on that page, a person in such a situation MAY be eligible but there are still more specific requirements that must be met. Simply submitting a PR app does NOT qualify you for an OWP. From the information you've provided, I can't see how you qualify.
On the CIC website says you must apply for an OWP while under valid TRV status. Secondly, I wasn't stating that submitting a PR application qualifies me for an OWP. Thanks...

Does anyone else genuinely what to help me out and explain to me how I can maintain legal TRV status while my PR application is being assessed? I have a Canadian spouse but since i'm applying through FSW1, it's my understanding I can not apply for an OWP through her.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
lellis2 said:
On the CIC website says you must apply for an OWP while under valid TRV status. Secondly, I wasn't stating that submitting a PR application qualifies me for an OWP. Thanks...

Does anyone else genuinely what to help me out and explain to me how I can maintain legal TRV status while my PR application is being assessed? I have a Canadian spouse but since i'm applying through FSW1, it's my understanding I can not apply for an OWP through her.
No, the website doesn't say that. A TRV is an entry visa; it allows a person to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada. It has nothing to do with status in Canada and nothing to do with qualifying for an OWP.

You are very confused about several things.

Anyways, I will take my "ungenuine" efforts to help somewhere else...

lellis2

Nov 20, 2016
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
No, the website doesn't say that. A TRV is an entry visa; it allows a person to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada. It has nothing to do with status in Canada and nothing to do with qualifying for an OWP.

You are very confused about several things.

Anyways, I will take my "ungenuine" efforts to help somewhere else...
Ok your master. If you would like to show me a link or two this would be the time.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
lellis2 said:
Ok your master. If you would like to show me a link or two this would be the time.
After I tried to help you and you were rude? Nope. Do your own research.