+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

changing the course when reaching canada

Singh.0

Star Member
Feb 13, 2014
Hi,

If, I'm a commerce student (Indian), gets visa for some commerce related course like accounting, marketing etc. And suppose, if I change the course when reaching canada to some science related course like engineering (suppose). Will it effect my PR??

Help is very appreciated. Thank You

syrust

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
no
Singh.0 said:
Hi,

If, I'm a commerce student (Indian), gets visa for some commerce related course like accounting, marketing etc. And suppose, if I change the course when reaching canada to some science related course like engineering (suppose). Will it effect my PR??

it won't effect your P.R at any point, go for it if you are eligible and able to get admission in other program.

good luck

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Singh.0 said:
Hi,

First thing first, you really need to take some IELTS classes.

Secondly, it's not up-to you to decide and change program, have heard of something called eligibility criteria? Of course no college will give you admission to a program you aren't eligible for. Assuming you have completed B.COM and basis B.com you secure admission in Marketing or Accounting program, it doesn't mean college will let you change it to Bio-Tech or Networking Technology.

Syrust, who told you it can one can switch to any program of his/her choice? One can change the program but within his/her dimension/capacity/field/area-of-study. He can switch from marketing to accounting, accounting to HRM etc, but not to engineering.

Singh.0

Star Member
Feb 13, 2014
sabby2612 said:
<:(
sabby2612 said:
Secondly, it's not up-to you to decide and change program, have heard of something called eligibility criteria? Of course no college will give you admission to a program you aren't eligible for. Assuming you have completed B.COM and basis B.com you secure admission in Marketing or Accounting program, it doesn't mean college will let you change it to Bio-Tech or Networking Technology.
thats the reason i wrote 'suppose'

sabby2612 said:
Syrust, who told you it can one can switch to any program of his/her choice? One can change the program but within his/her dimension/capacity/field/area-of-study. He can switch from marketing to accounting, accounting to HRM etc, but not to engineering.
what if someone wants to change to a course like heavy duty technician or plumber?

raj_009

Star Member
Oct 3, 2013
Singh.0 said:

what if someone wants to change to a course like heavy duty technician or plumber?
Your question has been answered plenty of times. just read ELIGIBILIGY CRITERIA of the respective course/college u intend to study. If they admit u, u can apply. Else, u really cant. Remember, technical guys like engineers can go for both engg and management, but same is not applicable to commercial guys. If u have a B.com, in no way on this earth u can land into a M.Eng program.
Another thing rightly advised in earlier post, do improve ur english to survive in Canada. U r way below message 'conveying' capabilities. (Not bullying or discouraging u, but it's a fact). ATB

Ghufrankhan

Nov 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-14
File Transfer...
21-01-14
Med's Request
06-02-14
Med's Done....
12-2-14
Passport Req..
submitted with application
VISA ISSUED...
24-2-14
LANDED..........
16-07-14
What about Quebec universities? I got admitted in Concordia university (electrical engineering program), can i change to a university of any other province? I read somewhere Quebec has some different policies on it??

syrust

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
no
Singh.0 said:

Heavy duty technician and plumber are the fields which require you to go through 4 year apprenticeship an and then you get your ticket.
I am not too sure if you can get admission in these course if you are international student. but these courses do not require your bachelor's degree. you just need grade 12 and sometime high school. find out with college if they have those programs available and are you eligible to join to join these courses as international student.

http://www.georgebrown.ca/T165-2013-2014/

http://m.humber.ca/program/plumber-apprenticeship

check with college where you got admission already.

Syrus

syrust

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
no
sabby2612 said:

You might want to read my comment again and find out if at any point it says you can switch to any program of your choice?
should I say you need to take some ESL classes too? please don't judge anybody here, he is asking for help so just answer the question as per your knowledge.

Thanks

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
syrust said:
You might want to read my comment again and find out if at any point it says you can switch to any program of your choice?
should I say you need to take some ESL classes too? please don't judge anybody here, he is asking for help so just answer the question as per your knowledge.

Thanks
Hello,
I read your post which is as follow "it won't effect your P.R at any point, go for it if you are eligible and able to get admission in other program.

good luck"

You just gave him hope that he can secure admission. Anyway None of us is here to argue but help each other. He really needs to work on his English and I still stand my ground on this point. Secondly, He can't get change his program just like that as he is expecting. And you may wish to read the new guidelines which will help you understand how changing program (which was already in place as well) may or may not affect chances of securing PR.

syrust

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
no
sabby2612 said:
Hello,
I read your post which is as follow "it won't effect your P.R at any point, go for it if you are eligible and able to get admission in other program.

good luck"

You just gave him hope that he can secure admission. Anyway None of us is here to argue but help each other. He really needs to work on his English and I still stand my ground on this point. Secondly, He can't get change his program just like that as he is expecting. And you may wish to read the new guidelines which will help you understand how changing program (which was already in place as well) may or may not affect chances of securing PR.
can you please send mate the link for guidelines which will help me understand how changing program may or may not effect chances of securing P.R? I will appreciate that. I am not sure if changing program will effect your P.R., means if you complete a full time program and get a work permit and work for the required time (depends on which category you apply in which province).

also my comment says "If you are eligible and are able to get admission" yes I am giving him a hope to change career as per his choice, he can find out courses which he might be interested in just need to find out if he is eligible or not thats all.
so whats wrong in trying? giving somebody a good hope is a better thing rather then saying you can't do this.

check out the requirements of technical courses in Canada... you don't need a degree to get admission in any vocational technical training (depends on studies you want to do), I have met many people and have some friends who came to Canada after doing B.A from India and some of them are power engineers and some are Drafters for civil engineering and electrical engineering (of course they studied here too)

Thanks

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
syrust said:
can you please send mate the link for guidelines which will help me understand how changing program may or may not effect chances of securing P.R? I will appreciate that. I am not sure if changing program will effect your P.R., means if you complete a full time program and get a work permit and work for the required time (depends on which category you apply in which province).

also my comment says "If you are eligible and are able to get admission" yes I am giving him a hope to change career as per his choice, he can find out courses which he might be interested in just need to find out if he is eligible or not thats all.
so whats wrong in trying? giving somebody a good hope is a better thing rather then saying you can't do this.

check out the requirements of technical courses in Canada... you don't need a degree to get admission in any vocational technical training (depends on studies you want to do), I have met many people and have some friends who came to Canada after doing B.A from India and some of them are power engineers and some are Drafters for civil engineering and electrical engineering (of course they studied here too)

Thanks
Look for some of my others posts related to "new rules June". and you will find the source of info. I am out of this unnecessary debate. Over and out.

syrust

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
no
sabby2612 said:
Look for some of my others posts related to "new rules June". and you will find the source of info. I am out of this unnecessary debate. Over and out.
Mr. Singh

You can come to canada and if you want to change career its all upto you.
you need to find out which course you want to choose and if you are eligible to get admission or not.

This will not effect your P.R at all. there is no rule or law saying if you change course you will not get P.R.

there are different requirements to be eligible to get P.R and that all depends on which category you apply in.

Good Luck.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
just to caution you but rules r changing in june dont know if ur study permit will be tied to ur institution or not.So if ur planning a workaround just keep an eye for the changing rules.

syrust

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
no
mead said:
just to caution you but rules r changing in june dont know if ur study permit will be tied to ur institution or not.So if ur planning a workaround just keep an eye for the changing rules.

@ Mead I think that was already there like they write the name of institute on your study permit.
personal experience (I came to Canada on study permit for humber college (wireless telecommunication) program, my study permit mentioned program and college name, but I changed college and program as well, I went to George brown for management program after) had no issue in getting work permit and also no issue in getting my permanent Immigration.

Thanks