+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing the address for the third time.

Tamara_

Star Member
Mar 18, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear all,

I did my test and interview on April 30, 2015. I am planning to change my address for the third time since I first applied. Will this affect my application process? plz help

T

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No help needed. You are allowed to move (of course!)

Just update your address.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tamara_ said:
Dear all,

I did my test and interview on April 30, 2015. I am planning to change my address for the third time since I first applied. Will this affect my application process? plz help

T
No doubt about that but if you have to move, nothing to do.

Tamara_

Star Member
Mar 18, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So what do you advise me to do? I am so confused. Plz help

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tamara_ said:
So what do you advise me to do? I am so confused. Plz help
Are you moving overseas??
If not, you are freaking out over nothing.

Just update your address with CIC.

Tamara_

Star Member
Mar 18, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, I am not moving overseas. I moving to another apartment in Ottawa.

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tamara, stop being confused about everything. Just update your address. If you don't have anything to hide, you have nothing to be worried about.

tds69us

Nov 22, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OP_POP said:
Tamara, stop being confused about everything. Just update your address. If you don't have anything to hide, you have nothing to be worried about.
Take it easy dude. People are not all the same. We're all here to provide and/or seek guidance. Nobody wants to be belittled, so chill.

Tamara, you have nothing to worry about as long as the new address is somewhere in Canada. There is no limit to the amount of times you can change your address as long as each new address is somewhere in Canada. However, if I were you, I would try to stick to one address until I receive my citizenship.

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tds69us said:
Take it easy dude. People are not all the same. We're all here to provide and/or seek guidance. Nobody wants to be belittled, so chill.

Tamara, you have nothing to worry about as long as the new address is somewhere in Canada. There is no limit to the amount of times you can change your address as long as each new address is somewhere in Canada. However, if I were you, I would try to stick to one address until I receive my citizenship.
I was chill and didn't want to belittle anyone. Read my response again and tell me what was wrong with it. I just wanted to let her know she should really stop being worried about every single details about her application as long as she has nothing to hide.

canalberta

Feb 8, 2009
OP_POP said:
I was chill and didn't want to belittle anyone. Read my response again and tell me what was wrong with it. I just wanted to let her know she should really stop being worried about every single details about her application as long as she has nothing to hide.
Just curious if I move from one province A to Province B when my file is province A? :)

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canalberta said:
Just curious if I move from one province A to Province B when my file is province A? :)
The smiley face makes me wonder if you're serious?

I'll answer this if you can find one convincing (CIC source, newspaper or ATIP or a really solid anecdotal report) reason why this might be a problem. If you can't find a solid justification, then it's just you being unkind to yourself and worrying yourself (and others) out without a good reason.

On the other hand, it's really easy to find people who had problems because they didn't update their address ("friend was supposed to check the mail...")

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
neutral said:
That's your opinion. Mine is different.
The issue is how well informed the opinion is.

The issue is freaking oneself and others out without justification. There is a lot of misinformation about CIC processes because of how secretive the agency is. Let's not add to the misinformation and anxiety for ourselves and others.

I have found zero indication that "moving too much" within Canada before or after applying for citizenship is an RQ or delay trigger. And I have looked through many thousands of anecdotal reports, CIC documents and ATIP results. Have you looked?

Such proof (or even indication) does not exist. If you have such proof to back up your feelings, please let us know.

The only problem it can cause is if CIC mistakenly or purposefully sends important mail to old addresses. This happens rarely. Much more common is CIC sending important mail to an old address that was never updated and the applicant missing it, and the test/oath/RQ deadline, because their ex-roommate didn't check the mail very often.

The difference between those scenarios is that CIC is at fault in one and the applicant is at fault in the other. When the applicant is at fault for missing an important notice, the CIC is far less understanding.

As applicants we need to minimize the mistakes we make. We cannot control any possible errors that CIC might make.

dbo73

Star Member
Apr 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Calgary
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canalberta said:
I think this question is quite interesting as I understand it as follows:

If an applicants file has been transferred to the local office and the applicant moves to a different province after that, will the file be transferred to a new local office? Just curious.