+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

changing status of expired work permit to visitor?

butters1690

Star Member
Aug 21, 2015
Hi!

Just a question - if my work permit is expired and if I am not able to 'restore' my status as a worker within the 90 days window after the expiry date, will I be able to apply to change my status to a visitor?

Or does the application to change my status from worker to visitor be done before my work permit expires?

Any information will be very much appreciated!

Thank you.

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
I think you can apply to change status to visitor within the restoration time.

Until get a answer you'll be under Implied Status but I do believe you cannot continue working because you're not applying for a Work Permit.

Never let you permit expires with no action, chances to have Status Restoration denied are high.

Apply ASAP for visitor status

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
butters1690 said:
Hi,

Thank you for your response and for your insights on my situation, much appreciated!
No problem

Applying for Visitor status allows you to stay as Implied Status.

Try to get more information about possible options and apply soon.

Better don't bet everything in this only option, try to find something else, like PR application, another job...

butters1690

Star Member
Aug 21, 2015
Hi

Thanks again for your response.

I guess I will go the safe route and apply to switch my status from worker to visitor before my work permit expires...

I've never had a visitor status in Canada, do you know how long the visitor visa is usually issued for?

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
I guess you should apply for 6 or less months, later you can reapply

I recommend you to check the visitors forum to get more information

To obtain a Visitor status you need to explain why convincely, plans description, funds, ties to your original country are required.

HoPe90

Nov 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
IN LAND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/01/2016
Doc's Request.
22/11/2016
Nomination.....
06/12/2016
AOR Received.
19/07/2016
hi my work permit was due to expire and I applied for extension which got denied and was told I had 90 days to restore status and I applied for the 90 days was over. I would advise you to apply for switch over before your current work permit expires , you wont be able to work anymore as you are not applying for a new work permit but you can still stay in Canada on implied status. I hope this helps.
Normally they ask you when do you plan on leaving, I put in 6 months. It is better to put 6 months than longer so they are see that you will leave in the end but you also have to show you can support yourself in those six months with proof of funds of $6000 and up.

butters1690

Star Member
Aug 21, 2015
Hi HoPE90,

Thanks for sharing your information.
I do plan to apply to switch my status from worker to visitor before my current work permit expires.

Just wondering was your visitor status/visa granted? and if so how long was your visitor visa issued for?

Iammanythings

Feb 1, 2019
Please when you apply to change your status from worker to a visitor and you have *Implied Status* does that mean you are still a worker while waiting for a decision from IRCC?or your status changes to a visitor?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Please when you apply to change your status from worker to a visitor and you have *Implied Status* does that mean you are still a worker while waiting for a decision from IRCC?or your status changes to a visitor?
Visitor. You are no longer allowed to work as of work permit expiry.