+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing status from study permit to work permit

Kevin_fu

Jun 5, 2019
Hi to all,
I am a Ph.D. student in Canada and I have been here for 3 months. However, I have been offered a job in which the employer has accepted to send me the LMIA exemption letter as well as the job offer. I would like to withdraw my program at the university in a week. What is the best way to apply for Visa and work permit?
1. Leaving the country and apply for a new visa from my home town through CIC, and receive my work permit at the border. I am afraid of being rejected as I have already a Student Visa and Visitor visa.
2. Staying here and apply for changing the condition to work permit within Canada through CIC, considering this fact that after I withdraw the program, my study permit might probably be expired (I am not sure). In this case, am I able to leave the country after applying and back here with my visitor visa and get my work permit inside the country?
I am completely confused and don't know how to deal with this problem.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi to all,
I am a Ph.D. student in Canada and I have been here for 3 months. However, I have been offered a job in which the employer has accepted to send me the LMIA exemption letter as well as the job offer. I would like to withdraw my program at the university in a week. What is the best way to apply for Visa and work permit?
1. Leaving the country and apply for a new visa from my home town through CIC, and receive my work permit at the border. I am afraid of being rejected as I have already a Student Visa and Visitor visa.
2. Staying here and apply for changing the condition to work permit within Canada through CIC, considering this fact that after I withdraw the program, my study permit might probably be expired (I am not sure). In this case, am I able to leave the country after applying and back here with my visitor visa and get my work permit inside the country?
I am completely confused and don't know how to deal with this problem.
1. I would not go with this option. We have seen a few recent refusals here at the border where individuals have come on one visa and then tried to switch to another soon afterwards. One of these individuals was given a 5 year misrepresentation ban. I personally wouldn't risk it three months after arriving. It would be a different matter if you were three years into your PhD here.
2. Yes - I would apply for the work permit from within Canada instead of doing a border run. You should not withdraw from your program but instead continue your studies until you have a decision in the work permit application. If you want to stop attending school, then withdraw from your program and leave Canada immediately. Then apply for the work permit from outside of Canada.