+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing status from student to visitor

low_barracuda

May 4, 2024
Hi all,

I'm an international student and I recently had a case where I failed a course which can only be retaken during winter of next year. Since I cannot be part-time, I wanted to take authorized leave for the Fall as I cannot afford to take any more courses than necessary, however the international student centre told me that I may not be eligible for an authorized leave.

I want to know if it's possible to change my status to visitor only for Fall in this case. My study permit expires 2025 July, so there's no worries about getting it extended.

Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi all,

I'm an international student and I recently had a case where I failed a course which can only be retaken during winter of next year. Since I cannot be part-time, I wanted to take authorized leave for the Fall as I cannot afford to take any more courses than necessary, however the international student centre told me that I may not be eligible for an authorized leave.

I want to know if it's possible to change my status to visitor only for Fall in this case. My study permit expires 2025 July, so there's no worries about getting it extended.

Thank you
How long between courses if you take a leave? Are you taking courses for the summer session.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/while-you-study/study-permit-conditions.html

low_barracuda

May 4, 2024
No I am not taking summer courses since this was my supposedly my last semester. Advising said that summer courses don't count since it's not a regular semester, but almost 8 months. And like I mentioned in my post, I am most likely not eligible for a leave according to my college, so in the case that I will not get a leave, is it possible to switch to visitors from Aug - Dec?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
No I am not taking summer courses since this was my supposedly my last semester. Advising said that summer courses don't count since it's not a regular semester, but almost 8 months. And like I mentioned in my post, I am most likely not eligible for a leave according to my college, so in the case that I will not get a leave, is it possible to switch to visitors from Aug - Dec?
What about May-August? You cannot take more than 150 days authorized leave. If on unauthorized leave then school can cancel your permit. If you change status to visitor, you may not be able to restore it back to student.

low_barracuda

May 4, 2024
What about May-August? You cannot take more than 150 days authorized leave. If on unauthorized leave then school can cancel your permit. If you change status to visitor, you may not be able to restore it back to student.
I have no courses to take in the summer as my last sem was supposedly my final semester. According to the college, taking authorized leave is not an option at this moment so I am asking if I can change my status from student to visitor for the months of Aug-December, granted that my study permit is valid till July 2025. Is that possible?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have no courses to take in the summer as my last sem was supposedly my final semester. According to the college, taking authorized leave is not an option at this moment so I am asking if I can change my status from student to visitor for the months of Aug-December, granted that my study permit is valid till July 2025. Is that possible?
So read the link. You would not be following the conditions to be a student so study permit should be cancelled if you don’t resume studies within 150 days and are on unauthorized leave. Ask an immigration lawyer because you could change status to visitor but would not be able to restore status to student to return to school.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Changing your status to visitor would overide your study permit. You’d need to reapply for another study permit.