+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing Status from Student to Refugee Claimant

jinglebell0123

Jun 4, 2021
Burnaby, Canada
Category........
Other
Hello, I'm an international student here in Burnaby, BC but haven't started my studies yet. I want to apply for refugee protection. How should I start and is it like a website to visit and fill forms or what are my first steps? thank you for anyone helping me with this.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I'm an international student here in Burnaby, BC but haven't started my studies yet. I want to apply for refugee protection. How should I start and is it like a website to visit and fill forms or what are my first steps? thank you for anyone helping me with this.
You should be aware that there are huge risk applying for asylum versus studying and then eventually qualifying for PR. Unless you know you will be guaranteed PR you risk not being able to remain in Canada and travelling to other countries. Please consult many Canadian immigration lawyer before making this decision. Are you from a country where there is a high probability of asylum. It is difficult to get a study permit from most of those countries. You will also have to withdraw from your studies.

Reactions: hba152 and Tmon

Jej

Sep 10, 2020
A settlement worker would be also be able to support you as a start as lawyers can be expensive they are familiar with all the paperwork information. Check out Issofbc Settlement Orientation Services (SOS) and Mosaic. Here are some links:
1.https://www.mosaicbc.org/services/settlement/students/
2. https://www.mosaicbc.org/services/settlement/rsip/
3. https://issbc.org/our-services/sos-settlement-orientation-services

newstartC

Star Member
May 13, 2021
You don't need to withdraw from your studies after your claimed refugee status. BUT you will lose your student status once you are got a negative results of your refugee application.

Talk to lawyers before your apply.

Reactions: hba152

jinglebell0123

Jun 4, 2021
Burnaby, Canada
Category........
Other
You should be aware that there are huge risk applying for asylum versus studying and then eventually qualifying for PR. Unless you know you will be guaranteed PR you risk not being able to remain in Canada and travelling to other countries. Please consult many Canadian immigration lawyer before making this decision. Are you from a country where there is a high probability of asylum. It is difficult to get a study permit from most of those countries. You will also have to withdraw from your studies.
Yes I'm from Iraq. Why there would be huge risks to get PR after claiming refugee status?

jinglebell0123

Jun 4, 2021
Burnaby, Canada
Category........
Other
You don't need to withdraw from your studies after your claimed refugee status. BUT you will lose your student status once you are got a negative results of your refugee application.

Talk to lawyers before your apply.
Lawyers only want their money, they don't really care what is the best for you. I have already done that but they were not a great help. I'm afraid if I continue my studies and finish it then I won't be qualified for Express Entry then I would have to go back to my home country where there is risk on my life.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes I'm from Iraq. Why there would be huge risks to get PR after claiming refugee status?
As an international student if you study, graduate and work in a NOC 0, A or B job for a year you are almost guaranteed PR while there is a lot of uncertainty when you apply for asylum with no guarantee of approval.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I meant for studying, my country is exempted from deportation, but wanted to know what is the worst case if I didn't qualify for PR after I finished my studies and one year work experience?
Worst case is you’ll loose status after your pgwp expire if you apply one. It is issued only once in lifetime. You will still stand a chance on EE or PNP

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I meant for studying, my country is exempted from deportation, but wanted to know what is the worst case if I didn't qualify for PR after I finished my studies and one year work experience?
No country is exempted from deportation for life and you can also end up in limbo where you don’t have status but can’t be deported so wouldn’t count on the fact that you can’t currently be deported. If you have a job for 1year in NOC 0, A or B there isn’t a reason you shouldn’t get PR. There are also other economic programs that you may qualify for after your studies or PGWP.