+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing refugee claim to spousal sponsorship

NewinKit

Star Member
Apr 4, 2019
Hello everyone,

Is it possible to change refugee claim to spousal sponsorship? Someone I know came as a refugee claimant recently but their spouse is in Canada (PR), and they were told they could withdraw their claim and have their spouse sponsor them inland.. what is the process and has anyone gone through this?

Thanks!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

Is it possible to change refugee claim to spousal sponsorship? Someone I know came as a refugee claimant recently but their spouse is in Canada (PR), and they were told they could withdraw their claim and have their spouse sponsor them inland.. what is the process and has anyone gone through this?

Thanks!!
You can't "change" from one application type to the other.

Your spouse can certainly sponsor you for PR through the spousal sponsorship program and it would be a very good idea to do that. However do not withdraw your refugee claim. If you withdraw your refugee claim, that will trigger removal proceedings. You need to keep the refugee claim going while you apply for PR through spousal sponsorship.

Reactions: derin1010

NewinKit

Star Member
Apr 4, 2019
You can't "change" from one application type to the other.

Your spouse can certainly sponsor you for PR through the spousal sponsorship program and it would be a very good idea to do that. However do not withdraw your refugee claim. If you withdraw your refugee claim, that will trigger removal proceedings. You need to keep the refugee claim going while you apply for PR through spousal sponsorship.
Thank you for your response! Do you think this process could be feasible without the use of a lawyer?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thank you for your response! Do you think this process could be feasible without the use of a lawyer?
Withdrawing claim may not require a lawyer, but you may need one for your spousal application. You can also do yourself if you wish to

Manvir97

Aug 13, 2021
Hello everyone,

Thanks!!
Do you know if the refugee claimant I mean your friend got PR under spousal stream ?

Vips1410

Star Member
Mar 8, 2021
Do you know if the refugee claimant I mean your friend got PR under spousal stream ?
U can’t withdraw Your case get married let your spouse sponsor you once you got your pr card after that you can withdraw your asylum case as respected scylla mentioned if you withdraw before your trigger removing order proceed and you don’t need to hire lawyer for spouse it’s really easy application . Just like any other asylum application but they may ask you Many questions because it’s not normal application immigration watch you like hawk so you and your spouse prepare for heaps of proof that your marriage is genuine .