+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing programme

Nadia79

Nov 19, 2018
hi,
I’m an international student was in bachlor degree fine art programme, finished one year with great grades and then decided to change my programme to cooking to get a diploma cause I didn’t get to the class I mainly went to the fine art to as it was full and I came a week late because my permit was delayed, the programme I’m currently in is so much fun and I enjoy it a lot, the problem is that my health has detoriorated and the doc has adviced me to stop and take rest. The college I’m at are very strict and they said if I needed to rest even for a week with the dic’s Note I have, they will give me an F in my current course and if the problem lasted longer I’m might be withdrawn from the whole programme :(
I love this country and I would like to stay and apply for the PR and was wondering if I change my two year programme to a 6 months one that doesn’t require much of physical movement will my status as a student remain legal? I just don’t want to break the laws and leave my programme if I’m not sure about the outcome. I don’t think I’ll be able to finish my two year with the intensive work I’m doing daily as we as cooks we need to provide the college market with daily fresh products and I don’t think I can do that and even if I will, I’ll be risking my health and making my suffer even worse than it is now.
Pls advice on the options I have and if I have a chance to get a PR before graduating so I can postpone my programme and finish it once I feel better. Sone adviced me to go to an immigration lawyer but I’m trying to avoid that as the fees are so high and I’m already paying $19000 a year for just my tuition.
P.S. I’m in Alberta
Thanks in advance

shah22393

Nov 6, 2017
hi,
I’m an international student was in bachlor degree fine art programme, finished one year with great grades and then decided to change my programme to cooking to get a diploma cause I didn’t get to the class I mainly went to the fine art to as it was full and I came a week late because my permit was delayed, the programme I’m currently in is so much fun and I enjoy it a lot, the problem is that my health has detoriorated and the doc has adviced me to stop and take rest. The college I’m at are very strict and they said if I needed to rest even for a week with the dic’s Note I have, they will give me an F in my current course and if the problem lasted longer I’m might be withdrawn from the whole programme :(
I love this country and I would like to stay and apply for the PR and was wondering if I change my two year programme to a 6 months one that doesn’t require much of physical movement will my status as a student remain legal? I just don’t want to break the laws and leave my programme if I’m not sure about the outcome. I don’t think I’ll be able to finish my two year with the intensive work I’m doing daily as we as cooks we need to provide the college market with daily fresh products and I don’t think I can do that and even if I will, I’ll be risking my health and making my suffer even worse than it is now.
Pls advice on the options I have and if I have a chance to get a PR before graduating so I can postpone my programme and finish it once I feel better. Sone adviced me to go to an immigration lawyer but I’m trying to avoid that as the fees are so high and I’m already paying $19000 a year for just my tuition.
P.S. I’m in Alberta
Thanks in advance

Hello,

I hope you get well soon.

Yes, you can change your program which requires less physical movement. Make sure that you confirm it with college that you require rest, and would be joining one week late. Also, when you apply for PGWP, please upload your doctor's note suggesting that you needed rest and that your college was strict about it thus you had to change the college. However, you'd have to finish 2 years of program in total to apply for PGWP of 3 years.

Goodluck !

Reactions: Nadia79