+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing permit on WHP

Madge

Jan 10, 2009
Hello all,

Just need some advice/opinions/thoughts and most notably a 'document' I'm in Canada until September 2010 on a WHP I have a job offer as a support worker which I have accepted. Problem is I need to change my work permit so that I can work in 'health services' Long story short, I was given some bad advice from immigration which led me to believe I would be ok to work in this field. Evidently, this is not the case and my new employers are very keen to get me working but need something in writing for legal reasons as what specifically defines 'health services field' seems to be a gray area (interestingly the HR from my new employers has said a girl from the US is having a similar problem and like me is getting conflicting advice from immigration) Anyhow, I've requested the paper work so that I can undergo the medicals. I am aware that while the paperwork is being processed I can work under an 'implied status' My employers are happy to have me work but I need this 'implied status' in writing somewhere. Does anyone know of any documentation online where this term is specifically used in reference to a WHP holder changing a work permit? I'm still waiting on all of the paperwork from immigration but thought I might be able to speed the process up a little if I could source it online. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated - thanks guys.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Madge said:
Hello all,

Just need some advice/opinions/thoughts and most notably a 'document' I'm in Canada until September 2010 on a WHP I have a job offer as a support worker which I have accepted. Problem is I need to change my work permit so that I can work in 'health services' Long story short, I was given some bad advice from immigration which led me to believe I would be ok to work in this field. Evidently, this is not the case and my new employers are very keen to get me working but need something in writing for legal reasons as what specifically defines 'health services field' seems to be a gray area (interestingly the HR from my new employers has said a girl from the US is having a similar problem and like me is getting conflicting advice from immigration) Anyhow, I've requested the paper work so that I can undergo the medicals. I am aware that while the paperwork is being processed I can work under an 'implied status' My employers are happy to have me work but I need this 'implied status' in writing somewhere. Does anyone know of any documentation online where this term is specifically used in reference to a WHP holder changing a work permit? I'm still waiting on all of the paperwork from immigration but thought I might be able to speed the process up a little if I could source it online. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated - thanks guys.
I believe that your work permit states that you CANNOT work in health/food/child care. It is a restricted work permit so there is no implied status. So you cannot work in the health field until you get the medical done and assessed.

PMM