+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing of visitors visa to a study permit for kids outside of Canada

Pocketlive

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
I am presently studying in Canada, but my kids and husband are outside Canada. We applied for a visitors visa for my kids, but I was told I should change it to a study permit. Please is it possible to change a visitors visa to a study permit after the application has been submitted? If yes, how do I go about it? My kids are only 8 &5 years old. Your response will be greatly appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am presently studying in Canada, but my kids and husband are outside Canada. We applied for a visitors visa for my kids, but I was told I should change it to a study permit. Please is it possible to change a visitors visa to a study permit after the application has been submitted? If yes, how do I go about it? My kids are only 8 &5 years old. Your response will be greatly appreciated.
You cannot change an application that has already been submitted. You would need to withdraw the visitor visas and submit study permits instead.

It doesn't make sense why you want to change the application types. Since your children are minors and dependent on your, they need TRVs (not study permits).

Pocketlive

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
You cannot change an application that has already been submitted. You would need to withdraw the visitor visas and submit study permits instead.

It doesn't make sense why you want to change the application types. Since your children are minors and dependent on your, they need TRVs (not study permits).
Thanks for responding.Here is the issue I have. I had applied for study permits for my kids earlier but was refused. We were advised to apply for a study permit for them at VFS where we had initially applied for them. We are reapplying again for the kids but now we applied for a visitors visa and not study permit. I was hinted by someone this might be an issue, hence the reason I want to change the application. Am confused and worried.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for responding.Here is the issue I have. I had applied for study permits for my kids earlier but was refused. We were advised to apply for a study permit for them at VFS where we had initially applied for them. We are reapplying again for the kids but now we applied for a visitors visa and not study permit. I was hinted by someone this might be an issue, hence the reason I want to change the application. Am confused and worried.
Withdraw and resubmit a new application.

Pocketlive

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
Withdraw and resubmit a new application.
How can I do this? I don't know how please guide me. Will withdraw the whole application because I applied for work permit for my husband and visitors visafor my kids In the same application.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
How can I do this? I don't know how please guide me. Will withdraw the whole application because I applied for work permit for my husband and visitors visafor my kids In the same application.
So do you want a study permit or visitor visa for your kids? Your kid’s visitor visas were refused or their study permit? If you have applied for spousal open work permit and visitor visas for kids, why not wait for decision.

Last edited:

amazing.cool

Star Member
Aug 28, 2020
Don't withdraw... IRCC will send you the note.. to make the changes... they usually ask to make additional payment and make the changes behind the scene... wait for IRCC...

Pocketlive

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
So do you want a study permit or visitor visa for your kids? Your kid’s visitor visas were refused or their study permit? If you have applied for spousal open work permit and visitor visas for kids, why not wait for decision.
I initially applied for a study permits for my kids and SOWP for my hubby and was refused. Now, I have applied for SOWP and visit visa for my husband and kids respectively. I think I will wait for IRCC decision. Thank you!

Pocketlive

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
Don't withdraw... IRCC will send you the note.. to make the changes... they usually ask to make additional payment and make the changes behind the scene... wait for IRCC...
Okay thanks. I am just worried becos I applied for a visitors visa for my kids after their study permit application was refused. Can they request for changes like this in this instance?

aravindsriram

Mar 16, 2020
I have a WP now and my kid is 4yrs and have visitor visa and yet to travel.Whats the procedure to change hers to study permit ?

amazing.cool

Star Member
Aug 28, 2020
Don't worry dear.. everything will be fine... I have seen on this forum itself many cases where they have asked to change the visitor visa to study for kids and asked them to pay... for refusal case... if you have corrected the reason of last refusal you would be just fine...

Pocketlive

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
Don't worry dear.. everything will be fine... I have seen on this forum itself many cases where they have asked to change the visitor visa to study for kids and asked them to pay... for refusal case... if you have corrected the reason of last refusal you would be just fine...
Thanks so much for this reply. It goes a long way. Thank you!

Pocketlive

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
I have a WP now and my kid is 4yrs and have visitor visa and yet to travel.What's the procedure to change hers to study permit?
I don't think she needs a study permit. It would help if you kept renewing her visitors visa until when you can apply for permanent residence on her behalf. I mean when you submit an application for PR as a family.