+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing Name & Renewing Australian Passport?

benjis_monikuss

Nov 21, 2013
In the forrests of BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney- Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2013
Doc's Request.
19-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-12-2013
File Transfer...
13-01-2014
Med's Done....
19-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
27-02-2014
LANDED..........
09-03-2014
Hi guys,

I searched for a bit and wasn't able to find anything pertinent to my situation so hoping maybe I can get better answers here. So I became a PR through Family Sponsorship, landed at Huntingdon Sumas border on Mar 9, 2014 (this forum was a LIFESAVER). I just got married last month (to my sponsor) and have assumed my husband's last name. Now that I have a copy of my marriage certificate I know I need to submit a request to renew my PR card in my new name but I actually have some questions about my Australian passport as well as I work through changing my name here.

1) Due to the new Canadian Citizenship rules, I will not be eligible to apply until early 2018. I know the process is lengthy and my current Australian passport expires Feb 1, 2020. I'm wondering if in 2019 I should be looking to renew my Aus passport or if I should just wait it out until my Canadian citizenship comes through and then get my Canadian passport then. Without being able to tell the future, I don't see a need for me to be travelling at that time so it could be more beneficial and less expensive this way? But since I'm not planning on rescinding my Australian citizenship, should I have a valid Aus passport at all times anyway? How does dual citizenship for both countries work? Is having my Australian birth certificate always going to be enough?

2) Changing my name on my CURRENT Aus passport. This in itself looks like a lengthy, expensive and stupidly inconvenient process, is it better if I just take my current passport, PR card and my marriage cert with me when I travel, or should I really be looking to have this updated asap, regardless of time and cost involved?

3) For travelling in the time before I'm eligible for Canadian citizenship, what do I do about having a different name on my passport than my PR card, should I just be carrying PR Card, Aus passport and marriage cert with me for all travel after my PR card reflects my new name?

I appreciate any help, I have put some calls into the Aus consulate here but had some conflicting information since we are still talking 2-4 years for half of this.