+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing name on PR card

SJ_1983

Dec 2, 2019
I’m getting ready to send off my renewal and I’m changing my name to my married name to match my UK passport. For those who have done this before and who changed their name outside of Canada did you send your original passport and marriage certificate (or other supporting documents) or copies? The list is not completely clear and I’d prefer not to send the originals with processing times being as they long as they are but also don’t want to get it wrong! Much appreciated!

maaayankkk

Star Member
May 17, 2018
For renewing your PR CARD, You need to send your passport copy with the married name and your marriage certificate. No originals are required.
If your marriage certificate is in foreign language make sure to send the certified translation.

SJ_1983

Dec 2, 2019
This was the reply I got to my inquiry from CIC:
If you legally changed your name and would like your new name to appear on the permanent resident card, please visit our website in order to apply.

In addition to the required documents, you will be asked to also include:

• A copy of a legal document supporting the change such as:
    • legal change of name document,
    • adoption order,
    • court order,
    • marriage certificate or divorce documents (court documents) from civil authorities indicating the new name,
    • etc.,
  • (If you changed your name outside of Canada) A foreign passport or national authoritative document indicating the new name, and an official document linking the old and new names, and
  • A copy of your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688).
It does not say a copy of my foreign passport and marriage certificate but it doesn't say originals either...did you send copies and it was OK?

maaayankkk

Star Member
May 17, 2018
This was the reply I got to my inquiry from CIC:
If you legally changed your name and would like your new name to appear on the permanent resident card, please visit our website in order to apply.

In addition to the required documents, you will be asked to also include:

• A copy of a legal document supporting the change such as:
    • legal change of name document,
    • adoption order,
    • court order,
    • marriage certificate or divorce documents (court documents) from civil authorities indicating the new name,
    • etc.,
  • (If you changed your name outside of Canada) A foreign passport or national authoritative document indicating the new name, and an official document linking the old and new names, and
  • A copy of your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688).
It does not say a copy of my foreign passport and marriage certificate but it doesn't say originals either...did you send copies and it was OK?
This is the generic information available for all

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html#5445E4

Only Photocopies are required.