+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing my last name in Quebec for a valid reason is just impossible.

Nadik

Nov 19, 2019
Hello,

I've been living in Quebec since 2019 and got my permanent residency through marriage in 2021.

Now, I'm looking to change my surname from my estranged father's to my mother's. This seemed straightforward, until:

First off, they want me to register my birth certificate with the Quebec registry of civil status. Fine.

But here's the catch: they need my ORIGINAL birth certificate and won't return it.

How is this even reasonable??

They suggest I get a duplicate from my home country if I'm concerned. However, I wasn't born in a country where issuing copies is a simple task. My birth certificate is handwritten, signed, and authorized. It's incredibly precious, and there's no way I can sacrifice it.

What if it gets lost in the mail?
What if I send it and my name change request is still denied?

I can't fathom why this has to be so overly complicated.

So, after sharing all of this, I'm wondering:

Is there any alternative way to change my surname in Canada without having to surrender my original birth certificate?

Thank you for anyone who can provide some insight!

Singh__

Star Member
Aug 25, 2023
Hello,

I've been living in Quebec since 2019 and got my permanent residency through marriage in 2021.

Now, I'm looking to change my surname from my estranged father's to my mother's. This seemed straightforward, until:

First off, they want me to register my birth certificate with the Quebec registry of civil status. Fine.

But here's the catch: they need my ORIGINAL birth certificate and won't return it.

How is this even reasonable??

They suggest I get a duplicate from my home country if I'm concerned. However, I wasn't born in a country where issuing copies is a simple task. My birth certificate is handwritten, signed, and authorized. It's incredibly precious, and there's no way I can sacrifice it.

What if it gets lost in the mail?
What if I send it and my name change request is still denied?

I can't fathom why this has to be so overly complicated.

So, after sharing all of this, I'm wondering:

Is there any alternative way to change my surname in Canada without having to surrender my original birth certificate?

Thank you for anyone who can provide some insight!
If you are permanent resident ( not got citizenship) it shouldn’t be a problem just change your foreign passport name then with that change on pr card / license or RAMQ.

Nadik

Nov 19, 2019
If you are permanent resident ( not got citizenship) it shouldn’t be a problem just change your foreign passport name then with that change on pr card / license or RAMQ.
Wow... You saved me a lot of headache!

I didn't realize that this process is only hard for Canadian citizens!

Thank you very much for your help!

Singh__

Star Member
Aug 25, 2023
Wow... You saved me a lot of headache!

I didn't realize that this process is only hard for Canadian citizens!

Thank you very much for your help!
UPDATE : I am not sure about changing the whole name I talked with my friend who changed he changed on wp and applied PR with new name split ( didn’t actually changed just split the name) and got new name on pr card .

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
When you change your name in Quebec, they change your name at birth. There is no way to change it through the DEC without handing out your BC. Or you can go the legal route and change it through a court order.

New Brunswick is a province where you can change your name after three months of residency.

I know someone who had their name changed by the DEC and it was a mistake on their part and it was such a mess. Best is to change your name outside of the DEC but you might need citizenship. With you citizenship certificate you can change your cards and your passport name. Have you tried to change it in your birth country?