+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing Major (stream) after AIP

Rubab68

Oct 19, 2019
I recommend you to file an inquiry on the web form since the processing times for applicants in Bangladesh has dropped down to 2 weeks! it might help you get some insight as to where your application stands at this moment. I recommend changing the status, later on. Get your visa, start your studies, travel to Canada, and then submit an application for study permit change. As far as I know, your study permit won't say what you are studying just your DLI number.
thanks for your reply. i got my AIP, got my biometric letter and waiting for the visa center top open to give my biometric. actually I already started online study and from the next semester they will offer major courses. otherwise I would have waited until I get my visa then apply for major change.

Rubab68

Oct 19, 2019
I recommend you to file an inquiry on the web form since the processing times for applicants in Bangladesh has dropped down to 2 weeks! it might help you get some insight as to where your application stands at this moment. I recommend changing the status, later on. Get your visa, start your studies, travel to Canada, and then submit an application for study permit change. As far as I know, your study permit won't say what you are studying just your DLI number.
thanks for your reply.. here below is my status
got AIP on September
biometric letter on mid-august

yes. you are right. applying after visa is safe. the problem is, I am doing first sem online classes and from the next sem (January) they are offering major courses. that is the main problem here...

BIG_T

Star Member
Sep 15, 2020
United Arab Emirates
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
07-08-2020
thanks for your reply.. here below is my status
got AIP on September
biometric letter on mid-august

yes. you are right. applying after visa is safe. the problem is, I am doing first sem online classes and from the next sem (January) they are offering major courses. that is the main problem here...
Hang on for a bit longer till visa offices opens up in Bangladesh. Does your university offer major courses online?

Rubab68

Oct 19, 2019
Hang on for a bit longer till visa offices opens up in Bangladesh. Does your university offer major courses online?
yes. they offer it online.. and they offered it from January... from January i have 4 courses 2 core courses and 2 major courses....

BIG_T

Star Member
Sep 15, 2020
United Arab Emirates
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
07-08-2020
yes. they offer it online.. and they offered it from January... from January i have 4 courses 2 core courses and 2 major courses....
I think you will still be able to use your existing AIP to study online. If I may ask, what university are you studying at?

Rubab68

Oct 19, 2019
I think you will still be able to use your existing AIP to study online. If I may ask, what university are you studying at?
yes i will be able to use my existing aip to study online.... the university will allow me to do that. but the problem is when the visa center opens in Bangladesh and i give my biometci, if the embassy sees that i changed my major.. what happens then?.. i am just worried about that.. there is no problem with the university.. if i tell my the university, they will change my major straight away.... the university of Windsor...

BIG_T

Star Member
Sep 15, 2020
United Arab Emirates
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
07-08-2020
yes i will be able to use my existing aip to study online.... the university will allow me to do that. but the problem is when the visa center opens in Bangladesh and i give my biometci, if the embassy sees that i changed my major.. what happens then?.. i am just worried about that.. there is no problem with the university.. if i tell my the university, they will change my major straight away.... the university of Windsor...
I believe they won't notice it since they have already processed your previous LOA and it's in the system. Don't worry about biometrics there is nothing special about it anyways. I did mine back in August it took like 5 mins just walked in signed some papers, scanned my fingers, and walk out.

Rubab68

Oct 19, 2019
I believe they won't notice it since they have already processed your previous LOA and it's in the system. Don't worry about biometrics there is nothing special about it anyways. I did mine back in August it took like 5 mins just walked in signed some papers, scanned my fingers, and walk out.
Yes. You are correct i did my biometric for uk visa as well. Its a straight forward process.
Yes you have a point there. Hope it is true.
I am just wondering. Will they ask for enrollment letter while i send my passport after completing biometric?... if they do then they may see that i have a different major. Because in the SOP that i want to study and it goes well with my major. You know how most people write to emphasize the importance of the subject.

BIG_T

Star Member
Sep 15, 2020
United Arab Emirates
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
07-08-2020
Yes. You are correct i did my biometric for uk visa as well. Its a straight forward process.
Yes you have a point there. Hope it is true.
I am just wondering. Will they ask for enrollment letter while i send my passport after completing biometric?... if they do then they may see that i have a different major. Because in the SOP that i want to study and it goes well with my major. You know how most people write to emphasize the importance of the subject.
No, they won't ask for LOA. You will be asked to print a paper and take it with you to the visa office/VFS along with your passport. You won't be submitting your passport at this stage. They use your passport to verify who you are. You will only submit your passport when you receive a Passport submission request on your GCKey. You will only have to carry your LOA when you go to the border of Canada and they might ask you for your LOA then but you can just show them your old LOA and it will do just fine.
True you have to emphasize in your SOP and a change in major would require you to rewrite one. Not sure if I'm supposed to call myself lucky or not but I wasn't asked to submit an SOP...

Rubab68

Oct 19, 2019
No, they won't ask for LOA. You will be asked to print a paper and take it with you to the visa office/VFS along with your passport. You won't be submitting your passport at this stage. They use your passport to verify who you are. You will only submit your passport when you receive a Passport submission request on your GCKey. You will only have to carry your LOA when you go to the border of Canada and they might ask you for your LOA then but you can just show them your old LOA and it will do just fine.
True you have to emphasize in your SOP and a change in major would require you to rewrite one. Not sure if I'm supposed to call myself lucky or not but I wasn't asked to submit an SOP...
If i do not show them my new LOA at the airport, then they would think that i have my old major. If that is the case, do i need to write another SOP?...

BIG_T

Star Member
Sep 15, 2020
United Arab Emirates
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
07-08-2020
If i do not show them my new LOA at the airport, then they would think that i have my old major. If that is the case, do i need to write another SOP?...
If you have submitted one along with your previous LOA then you don't need to. If you submit a request for a change in LOA to IRCC you might be asked to submit a new SOP along with the new LOA.

Ahmed09990

Star Member
Oct 27, 2020
i got aip for the university of windsor masters of management program. i am doing my first semester online from bangladesh. now, i want to change my major (stream) from supply chain to international accounting and finance.
is it going to affect my final visa decision?.
Thanks in advance.
I am planning to change my DLI, but it will only be possible when I will get the full study permit. It also has to be done once you are in Canada physically. Even changing major or subject can risk getting full approval.

Reactions: BIG_T