+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing last name after becoming permanent resident

Kalikay

Star Member
May 19, 2018
I live in Ontario as citizen. my husband who just became a permanent resident wants to take my last name. How does he get my last name on his Canadian documents despite his passport having his old last name? We want his health card and Ontario id card and p.r card wen it eventually arrive to have it.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You typically only need a marriage certificate to do this. When applying for Ontario ID you can fill it out with a married name and submit the marriage certificate as proof of change of name.

Since he would have applied for his PR card at landing, you'll need to request it be amended or reissued. That may take a while.

Kalikay

Star Member
May 19, 2018
You typically only need a marriage certificate to do this. When applying for Ontario ID you can fill it out with a married name and submit the marriage certificate as proof of change of name.

Since he would have applied for his PR card at landing, you'll need to request it be amended or reissued. That may take a while.
So would he have to go through the legal name change process to update it on his pr card though or can he submit

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
In most cases you cannot go through the legal name change process to adopt a married name. Double check this by googling "name change Ontario" and seeing the province's process.

If all you need to assume a married name is a marriage certificate in Ontario, that's all the proof you need.