+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing Institute in Canada (Urgent)

Farazahsheikh

Star Member
Oct 17, 2017
Pakistan
Strange. It is very common. Guess others have stopped studying in April or likely don’t read the instructions.
It is strange. I don't know what counts as the date I "ceased studies at my instituition." There's no official document pertaining to that. I applied for refund last week and that was about it.

Farazahsheikh

Star Member
Oct 17, 2017
Pakistan
Would suggest emailing CIC. May take a while to get a response. 2 semesters off is not uncommon.
Can I call them? They have a Canadian number, I believe. I haven't contacted them yet because I was under the impression that calling them just asks for unnecessary trouble, lol.

Farazahsheikh

Star Member
Oct 17, 2017
Pakistan
Would suggest emailing CIC. May take a while to get a response. 2 semesters off is not uncommon.
@canuck78, I just read on CIC website that I can actually apply for a visitor record if the gap is over 150 days while changing institutes. Can you explain as to what it is? The information is confusing. Can we start studying again on a visitor record and be eligible for PGWP? Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just learned something new. You can work for the first 150 days between programs.

“If the new program of study starts more than 150 calendar days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion from their current institution, the student is eligible to work off campus only during the first 150 consecutive days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion. They should then either apply to change their status (for instance, change it into visitor status) or leave Canada until their new program commences.”

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus

Reactions: Farazahsheikh