+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing employers after COPR

gp_2020

Oct 21, 2020
Hi All,

I am one of the lucky ones awaiting for biometrics appointment in GTA.
However I am pretty sure everything will be fine, but I will be bald by the end of it.

My situation:
AOR - Feb 19
BIL - Mar 2

CEC with LMIA job offer (currently I am on closed WP)

Question: I hope to get CoPR by the end of the year (yeah, I know, optimistic).
Can I change employer after I receive CoPR? I received an offer from different company, they are willing to wait until Jan-Feb to hire me.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

I am one of the lucky ones awaiting for biometrics appointment in GTA.
However I am pretty sure everything will be fine, but I will be bald by the end of it.

My situation:
AOR - Feb 19
BIL - Mar 2

CEC with LMIA job offer (currently I am on closed WP)

Question: I hope to get CoPR by the end of the year (yeah, I know, optimistic).
Can I change employer after I receive CoPR? I received an offer from different company, they are willing to wait until Jan-Feb to hire me.
You have to wait until you are officially a PR before you can switch employers. You are on a closed work permit right now. A COPR does not allow you to work for any employer. That's only possible once you have completed landing formalities and are officially a PR.

kiwissima

Sep 17, 2018
You have to wait until you are officially a PR before you can switch employers. You are on a closed work permit right now. A COPR does not allow you to work for any employer. That's only possible once you have completed landing formalities and are officially a PR.
As far as I know, due to COVID, you don't have to complete landing formalities anymore if you're an inland applicant (CEC). He will effectively become a PR once he receives the COPR in Canada.

Reactions: Doys

blondieyo

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
As far as I know, due to COVID, you don't have to complete landing formalities anymore if you're an inland applicant (CEC). He will effectively become a PR once he receives the COPR in Canada.
I'm curious about this too. The below link says the following: "Due to COVID-19, we have a new process to confirm permanent resident status. We don’t need a COPR for this new process if you are in Canada."
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#approved

I'm not sure what this means exactly though. Perhaps if someone can tag someone who received their CoPR in the last couple months to get some more information?

Reactions: shayusuf247

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm curious about this too. The below link says the following: "Due to COVID-19, we have a new process to confirm permanent resident status. We don’t need a COPR for this new process if you are in Canada."
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#approved

I'm not sure what this means exactly though. Perhaps if someone can tag someone who received their CoPR in the last couple months to get some more information?
There is a virtual landing process of you are in Canada. You will get a call to confirm you are in Canada and the next day you receive an email confirming you are a PR. It is a COPR and conformation of PR email.

shayusuf247

Nov 10, 2019

Permanent resident cards
Once you become a permanent resident, we’ll send you a document to confirm your new status in Canada. We’ll also ask you to provide a photo so we can start the process of issuing your first permanent resident (PR) card. You don’t need to apply for your first PR card.

While you wait for your PR card, you can use this document to prove that you’re a PR in Canada and to apply for government benefits and services that you’re eligible for such as, to apply for your social insurance number so you can work.

It may take longer than usual for us to issue your PR card.

Reactions: blondieyo

blondieyo

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
Thanks for that information both of you! Getting ahead of myself a little but trying to plan my life out as I wait for my biometrics call.

Reactions: shayusuf247

VaibhavB

Apr 11, 2020

While you wait for your PR card, you can use your signed COPR document (if you have one), or the letter confirming permanent resident status to
  • prove that you’re a permanent resident in Canada, and
  • apply for government benefits and services that you’re eligible for, for example, to apply for your social insurance number so you can work.

4K0223

Aug 7, 2021
I'm also PNP-inland which was depending on my job. I received the portal access a few days ago and today received another update by email that says we can download the eCoPR from the portal (https://prson-srpel.apps.cic.gc.ca/). There is a statement in the portal where you download the file that says:

"Congratulations— [MY_NAME] is now a permanent resident of Canada! This eCoPR document is proof of [MY_NAME]’s new status and can be used as proof of status until the permanent resident card arrives in the mail."

Now does that mean I can change my job without any problem or should I wait longer? And for how long?

Cordell05

Mar 3, 2021
Hi guys, what about if I,m still waiting for my ecopr can i change employers given that i still have my closed work permit?

4K0223

Aug 7, 2021
Hi guys, what about if I,m still waiting for my ecopr can i change employers given that i still have my closed work permit?
It depends on how you applied for the PR. If you are getting any score based on your job then probably it's easier if you don't change your job until you get the PR.

Foster19

Sep 21, 2021

Permanent resident cards
Once you become a permanent resident, we’ll send you a document to confirm your new status in Canada. We’ll also ask you to provide a photo so we can start the process of issuing your first permanent resident (PR) card. You don’t need to apply for your first PR card.

While you wait for your PR card, you can use this document to prove that you’re a PR in Canada and to apply for government benefits and services that you’re eligible for such as, to apply for your social insurance number tellthebell so you can work.

It may take longer than usual for us to issue your PR card.
Thanks for information, looking for same concern, Really thankful.

Last edited: