+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing employer - question

agusev

Mar 18, 2013
Hello.
I currently work for a Canadian IT company and hold a closed work permit which is valid till 2014.
My TRV has expired.

I have a job offer from another company; they are willing to get an LMO for me (they don't have it now).

I was planning to quit my current job, take a break for a couple of months and go back to my home country (Ukraine); when the paperwork is done and I have my new work permit, I would come back to Canada.

Basically, I see two possible options now:
1. Apply for a TRV with the old work permit, when it is received and I have a positive LMO, apply for a new work permit inside Canada, quit the job and return to Ukraine for a couple of months (this is an average WP processing time now). Since I would have a valid TRV, there shouldn't be any problems re-entering Canada.
2. Leave Canada now and apply for a new work permit in Ukraine (which is much faster than inside Canada) when the LMO is ready.

Please advise which option is better.

Thanks.

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, here's my take - since you plan to take a break before starting your new job, I can't see that either option has significant pros or cons over the other. It does seem that option #2 entails less work with the same end result as option #1. Also, with option #2, you can apply for the WP and TRV simultaneously.

I am curious though as to how your TRV and current WP have different expiry dates - did you apply for them separately?

agusev

Mar 18, 2013
amira_mais said:
I am curious though as to how your TRV and current WP have different expiry dates - did you apply for them separately?
I extended my previous work permit for one year, but I haven't renewed the TRV yet.
If I apply for a new TRV in Canada before quitting my current job, it's expiry day will be the same once it is issued.

The question is - if I have a TRV that was issued for a particular closed work permit, but I no longer work for that employer - will the border officer let me into Canada with that TRV?
And second thing - can you apply for a change of employer in Canada and leave your job while the application is in progress?

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm not entirely sure - I could guess but I might be wrong. Best to check with CIC: 888-242-2100.