+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing Employer on closed work permit

Discussion in 'Foreign Workers' started by aoke123, Jul 11, 2019.

  1. Hi, I came to Canada on an intra-company transfer closed work permit (LMIA-exempt). However, I have been offered a new role and I need to change my employer. My current work permit and visa are valid until June 2020.

    2 questions:

    1. Do I just apply for a change of employer on my current work permit or do I need to apply for a new TFW/IMP visa and permit
    2. If I just change my employer on my current work permit, is that work permit only valid for the duration left on my current visa (i.e. until June 2020)?
  2. 1. You cannot change your employer on your existing work permit. You need a new work permit. Before you can apply for a new work permit, your new employer must obtain an approved LMIA as a first step (your current work permit was only LMIA exempt since you came here on an ICT - if you want to work for someone new, an LMIA is required). Once your employer has an approved LMIA, you will need to apply for a new closed work permit. Once that new closed work permit is approved, you can start working for your new employer.
    2. See above.

Share This Page