+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing employer: how does this affect my spouse?

YVRTW

Feb 23, 2013
Hello.

My Canadian work permit does not authorize me to work for any employer other than stated. However, I am considering changing company and remaining in Canada. I realize that this means I will need to secure a new work permit prior to starting work with a new employer; but I was wondering what impact this has on my wife.

Is my work permit becomes invalid through changing employer, does her spousal work permit also become immediately invalid? Is there any grace period or would she need to leave current employment immediately?

Thanks.

Pro_Public

Star Member
Dec 5, 2012
If you have another skilled work permit, and your spouse's open work permit is still valid, she could keep it till the expiry date and change to new one based on your new work permit.
If you change to semi-skilled or lower, there is a concern and you should seek for advice from CIC.

YVRTW

Feb 23, 2013
Thanks for the reply. What I'm considering is to leave my current employer, thereby invalidating my current work permit. There will then be a short period of unemployment while I find a new employer and they assist me with procuring a new work permit, before I then commence work with the new employer. My question relates to my wife's rights during this interim period when I am 'between' work permits. Does her spousal work permit become invalid simultaneously with my work permit and therefore does she need to cease working at the same time as me?

maplelove

Jun 11, 2012
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-10-2013 send, received by AINP 11-11-2013
Nomination.....
January 13,2014
AOR Received.
March 6, 2014
IELTS Request
None
Med's Request
March 6, 2014
Med's Done....
April 2, 2014
Interview........
in process: August 1, 2014
Passport Req..
Nov. 7, 2014
LANDED..........
Nov. 28, 2014
YVRTW said:
Thanks for the reply. What I'm considering is to leave my current employer, thereby invalidating my current work permit. There will then be a short period of unemployment while I find a new employer and they assist me with procuring a new work permit, before I then commence work with the new employer. My question relates to my wife's rights during this interim period when I am 'between' work permits. Does her spousal work permit become invalid simultaneously with my work permit and therefore does she need to cease working at the same time as me?
Your wife's open work permit is still valid until its expiration and it doesn't invalidate with your change of employer.