+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing dependent to non accompnaying

Indian@Canada

Mar 8, 2018
Hello posters

What is the process to change accompnaying dependent to non accompnaying?

Medical is done and passports have been invited. But my spouse is not able to enter Canada within 12 months of medical.

Can I change their status to non accompnaying and apply for a visa later when they are ready to enter Canada? Will that affect my PR?

Thank you

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello posters

What is the process to change accompnaying dependent to non accompnaying?

Medical is done and passports have been invited. But my spouse is not able to enter Canada within 12 months of medical.

Can I change their status to non accompnaying and apply for a visa later when they are ready to enter Canada? Will that affect my PR?

Thank you
Hi

Yes, you can change your spouse to non-accompanying. It won't affect your PR.

Indian@Canada

Mar 8, 2018
Hi

Yes, you can change your spouse to non-accompanying. It won't affect your PR.
Thanks for the reply Canuck_in_uk. Do you how it is done? Do I just write a letter to CIC or is there a form to fill up? Do they need consent from the dependent? Or can I make that change myself being the primary applicant?
Thanks again!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the reply Canuck_in_uk. Do you how it is done? Do I just write a letter to CIC or is there a form to fill up? Do they need consent from the dependent? Or can I make that change myself being the primary applicant?
Thanks again!
As you already have PPR, I would just send a letter of explanation with your passport. You don't need consent from your spouse.

Indian@Canada

Mar 8, 2018
Okay that sounds great!
Do you know how long will CIC keep the file open for the dependent to enter Canada as PR? Or will they close the file after issuing PR to me?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Okay that sounds great!
Do you know how long will CIC keep the file open for the dependent to enter Canada as PR? Or will they close the file after issuing PR to me?
Your file is closed immediately when you land as a PR.

After that time, you will need to sponsor your spouse for PR with a brand new family class application. You should expect around 12 months for processing (depending on country). As a PR you will need to be living in Canada to submit the sponsorship app, and while it's processing.

It's much quicker/easier to all get PR status together, then just do a quick soft landing in Canada to activate PR and can immediately go back to home country.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

Mo-Desire

Star Member
Nov 22, 2018
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-08-2018
AOR Received.
16-08-2018
File Transfer...
14-09-2018
Help needed!
I recently attended an Interview to clarify my child adoption issue. The officer expressed satisfaction and promised to get back to us.
Now, I and my spouse have decided to allow the child have her Junior Secondary Education in our home country that means we need to change her status to non-accompanying for now. Can anyone guide us on the safest way to go about it considering the above circumstances.

TIA

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Help needed!
I recently attended an Interview to clarify my child adoption issue. The officer expressed satisfaction and promised to get back to us.
Now, I and my spouse have decided to allow the child have her Junior Secondary Education in our home country that means we need to change her status to non-accompanying for now. Can anyone guide us on the safest way to go about it considering the above circumstances.

TIA
You have to send in a webform or contact the VO you met with to change the information if you have the information. Given that your meeting was about adoption they will likely want to know that the child you recently adopted will now be non-accompanying.

Mo-Desire

Star Member
Nov 22, 2018
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-08-2018
AOR Received.
16-08-2018
File Transfer...
14-09-2018
You have to send in a webform or contact the VO you met with to change the information if you have the information. Given that your meeting was about adoption they will likely want to know that the child you recently adopted will now be non-accompanying.
Thank you for your response, do you think it's safe?

Mo-Desire

Star Member
Nov 22, 2018
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-08-2018
AOR Received.
16-08-2018
File Transfer...
14-09-2018
I actually adopted her to take responsibility of her education and well being which I could do from anywhere I am without necessarily accompanying us to canada. What's you take on this please