+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

changing course after one semester?

purplepon456

Feb 8, 2023
Philippines
Category........
STUDY
Hello! I'm taking a business course in Toronto, I would like to change programs after I finish this sem. Everyone has been advising against it saying it will affect my work permit and PR?

For transparency I will be changing from a two year business program to a three year IT program with CO-OP. Is this a bad idea? Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello! I'm taking a business course in Toronto, I would like to change programs after I finish this sem. Everyone has been advising against it saying it will affect my work permit and PR?

For transparency I will be changing from a two year business program to a three year IT program with CO-OP. Is this a bad idea? Thank you
There won't be any impact to your PGWP or PR. If you are switching schools, make sure you notify IRCC.

Reactions: canuck78

purplepon456

Feb 8, 2023
Philippines
Category........
STUDY
There won't be any impact to your PGWP or PR. If you are switching schools, make sure you notify IRCC.
thank you scylla! I asked other people and they keep saying it'll be hard for me in the end. I know my PGWP might be affected because I probably won't get the fullest amount.

I'm just transferring from one program to another within the same school. When do I inform IRCC? Before I start the process of changing the program or after I got in the second program?

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
thank you scylla! I asked other people and they keep saying it'll be hard for me in the end. I know my PGWP might be affected because I probably won't get the fullest amount.

I'm just transferring from one program to another within the same school. When do I inform IRCC? Before I start the process of changing the program or after I got in the second program?
I believe you notify IRCC by submitting your new LOA once you have it.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Since you are already attending the school, you do not need to notify IRCC about switching programs. Your PGWP won't be affected as long as you remain a full-time student in all semester besides during co-op or authorised leaven.

purplepon456

Feb 8, 2023
Philippines
Category........
STUDY
Since you are already attending the school, you do not need to notify IRCC about switching programs. Your PGWP won't be affected as long as you remain a full-time student in all semester besides during co-op or authorised leaven.
okay thank you, i was very worried about this because people have been telling me to stay in my course and it will affect PR in the end. i appreciate your reply!

JASKARANDHS

Dec 12, 2020
Mississauga
Category........
PNP
Job Offer........
Yes

Changing programs during your study in Canada could have an impact on your work permit and permanent residency (PR) eligibility. yes and
It's important to consider the potential consequences before making any changes.
  • it may result in your Study permit expiring before you finish your studies, and you need to apply for an extension and work permit for CO-OP. (This can be a complex process, and there is no guarantee that your new Study/work permit will be approved.)
  • it could affect your eligibility for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP), if you choose a course which is not eligible for PGWP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
okay thank you, i was very worried about this because people have been telling me to stay in my course and it will affect PR in the end. i appreciate your reply!
I would notify IRCC anyways. Your choice if an IT program with a co-op will likely lead to much better job opportunities and immigration opportunities than a college business program. Co-op placements are a great way to gain Canadian job experience in your field. Your choice is a lot smarter than many trying to take the shortest easiest degree and not consider the longterm picture.

Reactions: wonderbly

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Changing programs during your study in Canada could have an impact on your work permit and permanent residency (PR) eligibility. yes and
It's important to consider the potential consequences before making any changes.
  • it may result in your Study permit expiring before you finish your studies, and you need to apply for an extension and work permit for CO-OP. (This can be a complex process, and there is no guarantee that your new Study/work permit will be approved.)
  • it could affect your eligibility for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP), if you choose a course which is not eligible for PGWP.
As long as a student is studying full-time and passing they should have no issue extending their study permit. We have seen people get extensions even if they have been on academic probation. I would make sure to apply as early as possible for any study permit extension and a co-op permit

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good point was brought up that you’ll need a special co-op permit. The wait times for any study permit is months do apply well in advance

avidqtaqtx

Apr 18, 2021
is it hard to apply for a special co-op permit?
No getting co-op permit is not hard compared to getting a co-op in the first place as very limited position are open for graduate, but if you can time all of this and get yourself a co-op,imo this is the best way to progress.

Last edited:

Jbrar1

Feb 1, 2024
Hello everyone,
I came in Canada in september 2022 as an International Student in 1 year program then i changed program within same college in jan 2023 by withdrewing from the program that i started in sep 2022 so college published a transcript that is showing the grades of program that i started in sep 2022 as well as the grades of current program. i am worried because i failed all the 9 subjects in the 1st sem of program that i started in sep 2022 but good thing is that i am passing current programs all subjects. will my PGWP be rejected on the behalf of program from which i withdrew?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,
I came in Canada in september 2022 as an International Student in 1 year program then i changed program within same college in jan 2023 by withdrewing from the program that i started in sep 2022 so college published a transcript that is showing the grades of program that i started in sep 2022 as well as the grades of current program. i am worried because i failed all the 9 subjects in the 1st sem of program that i started in sep 2022 but good thing is that i am passing current programs all subjects. will my PGWP be rejected on the behalf of program from which i withdrew?
Dis you attend the classes that started in September 2022, submit assignments, write your exams, etc.?