+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing colleges after landing in Canada

Simmons06

May 25, 2022
I received a study permit for an University in Canada for January 2023.
I also received an offer letter for a college for January 2023.
The problem is due to some unforeseen financial problems (caused by the global recession to my family's business) I don't think I can afford the University any longer.
However, I still have an offer letter for a 2 year diploma which is still manageable financially.
Can I legally change the DLI or transfer before starting university in January.
My plan is to land in Canada in December after that I will change my study permit's DLI to start studying in the college instead of the University.
I don't want to go through the hassle of applying for a study permit again.
Can I change the DLI after I land in Canada or is that not possible?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I received a study permit for an University in Canada for January 2023.
I also received an offer letter for a college for January 2023.
The problem is due to some unforeseen financial problems (caused by the global recession to my family's business) I don't think I can afford the University any longer.
However, I still have an offer letter for a 2 year diploma which is still manageable financially.
Can I legally change the DLI or transfer before starting university in January.
My plan is to land in Canada in December after that I will change my study permit's DLI to start studying in the college instead of the University.
I don't want to go through the hassle of applying for a study permit again.
Can I change the DLI after I land in Canada or is that not possible?
You need a new study permit. You cannot change your DLI if you have never studied or plan on studying at the university listed on your current permit.

Did you not come to Canada months ago since you asked the same questions in the spring?

Last edited:

happyhumanbean

Jul 24, 2022
You need a new study permit. You cannot change your DLI if you have never studied or plan on studying at the university listed on your current permit.

Did you not come to Canada months ago since you asked the same questions in the spring?
What happens when they don't get a new study permit? I've read about quite a number of people that changed DLIs right after coming to Canada without getting new study permits.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What happens when they don't get a new study permit? I've read about quite a number of people that changed DLIs right after coming to Canada without getting new study permits.
The DLI changing rule is quite new. So I would say at this point there wouldn't be very many examples yet of what happens under the new rule if someone switches schools (i.e. once they apply for a PGWP).

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
Apparently, the rule was changed to eliminate the loophole of people applying for higher degrees (like an MBA or PDH) and then, after landing in Canada, switching to a shorter, easier and cheaper program.

Now, if you want to change DLI after your SP is approved, you have to study at least one semester in the DLI that originated your SP and then, you can request a change. If you want to change DLI without studying in the original DLI, you only road is to submit a new application for a SP.

Simmons06

May 25, 2022

Yeah, I'm already in Canada and studying at a college but was asking for a friend of mine.
Thought the post would get more responses if I wrote as if the situation was about myself.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yeah, I'm already in Canada and studying at a college but was asking for a friend of mine.
Thought the post would get more responses if I wrote as if the situation was about myself.
Ok. So your friend needs a new study permit if your friend never studied at or intends to study at the school on the permit.

Simmons06

May 25, 2022
Apparently, the rule was changed to eliminate the loophole of people applying for higher degrees (like an MBA or PDH) and then, after landing in Canada, switching to a shorter, easier and cheaper program.

Now, if you want to change DLI after your SP is approved, you have to study at least one semester in the DLI that originated your SP and then, you can request a change. If you want to change DLI without studying in the original DLI, you only road is to submit a new application for a SP.
I guess that's what they meant by " you have to be actively studying" to change your DLI in the official website.

Simmons06

May 25, 2022
Ok. So your friend needs a new study permit if your friend never studied at or intends to study at the school on the permit.
I'll tell him to submit another application for a study permit since there is still some time left to catch the January intake and his documents should be ready already.

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
I'll tell him to submit another application for a study permit since there is still some time left to catch the January intake and his documents should be ready already.
Consider your friend will have to explain in the new SOP why now he is changing programs and how does that fit into his situation. Also, going for a lesser degree might be detrimental to his application.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Just remember that your friend’s permit is processed from home country. Will have to show even stronger ties and reasons to change schools if inside Canada. Assume friend is not working. Original school has to contact IRCC to cancel his study permit so will want to change status to visitor.