+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changes to Immigration Regs affecting spousal/cl/cp applications expected soon.

lynw

Jul 1, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2010
AOR Received.
29-07-2010
File Transfer...
29-07-2010
Med's Done....
17-05-2010
Passport Req..
25-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
20-09-2010
LANDED..........
23-09-2010
HoneyBird said:
I am really sorry for the new people entering the system...
maybe they need lie detector tests or something to quickly eliminate people who are the cheats.
I think we'd probably all fail a lie detector test due to stress! They measure respiratory rate, heart rate, blood pressure and electrodermal response. ZZZZT! :p

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
Well if that is the case, then I in no way entered this relationship to get status. In NO WAY!
I was so naive that I didn't even know people had to immigrate to live with their bf/gf/spouse.

I entered this relationship because I love my husband. We married because we want to spend the rest of our lives with each other. Yes we maybe married faster than we originally would of but we knew from the day we met that we were for each other and that we would one day marry. And yes I do want status to live in Canada but not to cheat the system. To live with my husband, to start a family here, to begin our life together. I chose to move here so that my husband would have the health care he deserves and continue to be treated free of charge. With the disease that he has, it would be hard making it by in the US. One of his medicines alone costs $1,000.00 a month. That is for only ONE! Why would I would to put my husband through that if I love him? I don't want him to worry about if we can still get by and him still get the treatment he needs to survive. That just wouldn't be fair to him.

I just want to live a normal life with my husband. Is that too much to ask? With my husband's disease they already begin to either get really sick or die before 30. I need to know that I can be here for him.

giggles1985

Jul 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo>Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 16, 2010
Doc's Request.
August 25, 2010
AOR Received.
July 22, 2010
File Transfer...
July 28, 2010
Med's Done....
Feb 03, 2010
Passport Req..
Sept 16, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 05, 2010
LANDED..........
Oct 09, 2010
I agree with those that say this isn't really anything to worry about. I don't think it will significantly change the process and people with genuine relationships have little to worry about. I just am a little concerned that it might given an IO too much room for discretion if they can potentially turn down relationships that they know are genuine based on the feeling that were entered for the purpose of immigration as the article indicates.

I also like what some of you are saying about circumstances :) I had planned to say something similar if I got interviewed and the genuineness of my relationship was called in to question. I live in Anaheim, California. Its a gorgeous little town with great weather, I have a good job, am able to afford my own place (although I currently have room mates for the purpose of saving money towards my future in Canada), there's a ton of restaurants/shopping/entertainment all practically within walking distance... why, oh why, would I ever want to move to the farthest little corner of Canada that no one has even heard of - Newfoundland :p
If not for love?

lol!

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
rjessome said:
The chatter in the legal community is that this is going to happen sometime this fall however this is NOT confirmed. The government posted the proposed changes in the Canadian Gazette in April of this year (a requirement before an Act of Parliament can be amended).

Here is the Gazette posting:

http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2010/2010-04-03/html/reg1-eng.html
I read the underneath of this:
COMING INTO FORCE

3. These Regulations come into force on the day on which they are registered. \So does it come into effect in April? I don't understand.

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
giggles1985 said:
I agree with those that say this isn't really anything to worry about. I don't think it will significantly change the process and people with genuine relationships have little to worry about. I just am a little concerned that it might given an IO too much room for discretion if they can potentially turn down relationships that they know are genuine based on the feeling that were entered for the purpose of immigration as the article indicates.

I also like what some of you are saying about circumstances :) I had planned to say something similar if I got interviewed and the genuineness of my relationship was called in to question. I live in Anaheim, California. Its a gorgeous little town with great weather, I have a good job, am able to afford my own place (although I currently have room mates for the purpose of saving money towards my future in Canada), there's a ton of restaurants/shopping/entertainment all practically within walking distance... why, oh why, would I ever want to move to the farthest little corner of Canada that no one has even heard of - Newfoundland :p
If not for love?

lol!
Seriously why would I be moving to Newfoundland if it wasn't for my husband?
I love my husband but seriously like right now. The weather has been dark, cloudy, rainy, and foggy. Bleh....don't like.
But I stay here because of my husband and that beats all this yucky weather and everything else. Lol.

I love my newfie. :p

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
HoneyBird said:
I read the underneath of this:
COMING INTO FORCE

3. These Regulations come into force on the day on which they are registered. \So does it come into effect in April? I don't understand.
I saw this post back in April so I am sure it has already been in effect. So if some of you applied after then and are still getting approved without problems then I can't see this regulation causing much of a problem.

Just my 2 cents though.

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
this is so stupid. really in a global world..global economy...with the age of internet and internet dating...
why would they have these dotish rules...

the kind of new era we live in will see people from Hungary marrying someone from Africa...but you know what based on the rules ofwhat constitutes a real marriage, they stick to their old age thinking of why would a white man marry a black woman, or not the same religion, or not the same culture. All that is so much bullshit because we are being taught to view others in school differently and we as peoples have overcome those kinds of barriers yet those are the same barriers put up by immigration.

giggles1985

Jul 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo>Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 16, 2010
Doc's Request.
August 25, 2010
AOR Received.
July 22, 2010
File Transfer...
July 28, 2010
Med's Done....
Feb 03, 2010
Passport Req..
Sept 16, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 05, 2010
LANDED..........
Oct 09, 2010

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
giggles1985 said:
Hear, hear! :D
What part of Newfoundland does your man come from?

journeyman

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2010
AOR Received.
22-07-2010
File Transfer...
25-05-2010
Med's Done....
19-02-2010
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
02-09-2010
LANDED..........
12-10-2010
Just another thought about the things we give up. In almost all cases, I believe one partner is giving up something. And we are doing it for the ultimate prize of being with the person we love, because in the end, that is what really matters. We are just more conscious of it during this process. But, if you look at a couple who are already together in the same country, wherever that may be, and one of them gets transferred due to work, the other partner also will have to give up something (potentially their career) in order for the couple to move. Again a decision will have to be made between the couple, which is the better option for the family. The same holds true for a couple that meets from two different parts of their own country. That too can also involve one partner giving up something for the couple to be able to be together. It seems to me that these types of decisions come with some price to be paid. We just all seem to be held to a different standard

giggles1985

Jul 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo>Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 16, 2010
Doc's Request.
August 25, 2010
AOR Received.
July 22, 2010
File Transfer...
July 28, 2010
Med's Done....
Feb 03, 2010
Passport Req..
Sept 16, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 05, 2010
LANDED..........
Oct 09, 2010
Love_Young said:
What part of Newfoundland does your man come from?
St John's area. You?

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
I don't think any of us "real" couples have anything to be concerned about.
Based on what this here says in the regulation, they understand that marrying to be able to live with our spouse in Canada is common but you should not have married solely just for a visa. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, just my understanding.

Here is the quote I was talking about:
"In a bona fide relationship, while the prospect of living in Canada may be an important consideration in choosing a marriage partner, it should not be the primary purpose of the marriage."

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
giggles1985 said:
St John's area. You?
Same. We live in Paradise. So are you still in California for now or are you here as well?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ah! Some of you have beautifully pointed out exactly what needs to be proven! You are ALREADY established in your home countries with good jobs, property, and a good standard of living for your country. That's exactly what needs to be added to the application. Basically, you have a good life in your home country and would NOT come to Canada if you hadn't met the love of your life. You made a JOINT decision to move to Canada for sound reasons (which you should outline in your application). This attention and detail will go a long way to overcoming this obstacle.

It's a matter of adding this perspective to the preparation of your application.

Honestly, fair or not, I doubt people from countries with parallel standards of living are going to have difficulties with this change in the majority of circumstances.

No, the Regs have not been changed yet. Posting in the Gazette is normal procedure for proposed amendments. They will be/have been open for debate (if any) in parliament before registration. Only once they have been registered are they law.

giggles1985

Jul 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo>Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 16, 2010
Doc's Request.
August 25, 2010
AOR Received.
July 22, 2010
File Transfer...
July 28, 2010
Med's Done....
Feb 03, 2010
Passport Req..
Sept 16, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 05, 2010
LANDED..........
Oct 09, 2010
Love_Young said:
Same. We live in Paradise. So are you still in California for now or are you here as well?
I'm in California still. Applied outland. I was too afraid of being turned away at the border if I tried to enter as an extended visitor.