+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changes on Oct 11, 2017 - Executive summary/FAQ C-6

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A3: The calculator uses the following rules to determine the number of days absent for each absence declared:

• When calculating an absence, neither the day you leave Canada nor the day you return is considered an absence. Both are counted as days of physical presence. For example, an absence between July 1, 2013 and July 15, 2013 equals 13 days of absence. As another example, if you leave Canada on July 1, 2013 and return on July 2, 2013, this equals 0 days of absence. You must still declare this as an absence.
Q5: Do I have to declare day trips to the United States?

A5: Yes. List all absences, even if you come back the same day.
I was more on US side. If i went to US and came back the same day, I imagine it does count as 1 day in US.

Yeah, mine's going to be a mess. I have family in the States and have been going back and forth as a visitor since 2012 ( about once a month for a couple days in the US) and had a VR for longer stays since 2013. That said, I don't have every single date I left or returned to Canada. I only have some because I have a boarding pass or VR issuance, the rest is a guess.So it's hard for me to even calculate the date to apply. Unless I just list the dates my VR was reissued. I DO NOT want to lie. I've only gone to the US but I don't think I can get the exit/entrance records from the website in the US because I'm a US citizen. But I'm probably best getting an FBI certificate again as the dates over the five years would add up to 183 days more than likely. UNLESS it only counts after my PR, then I wouldn't need it.
I have 58 entries/exit and man it took me lot of time. I used my boarding passes + I-94 record + credit card records + multiple other things to figure this out.

I'm not doing the CBSA thing as it plainly asks citizenship applicants not to do so on their website; I did the USA/DHS/i94 thing instead on Oct.4th, right after Hussen's announcement, & it was immediate, downloadable, & painless.

As for the US/FBI IHSC police certificate thing, I applied for one in mid-July & am still waiting for it 12 weeks later...
I remember applying and getting one last year. I wonder if I apply for it before I apply for citizenship, what negative impact it would have. Just to make sure the dates are aligned with the application. Any other thoughts ? Due to FBI certificate, it seems like i would have to wait for at-least 3 months.

poseidon87

Aug 18, 2017
4. Two (2) pieces of personal identification
Both pieces of identification should show your name and date of birth, one of which must have your photo on it.

Examples include:

• a Canadian driver’s licence
  • a Canadian health insurance card
  • a copy of the biographical page of your passport/travel document, etc.
If there is information on both sides of your personal identification documents, provide a photocopy of both sides.

Note: Social Insurance Number (SIN) cards, bank cards and credit cards are not acceptable pieces of identification.
Thank you razerblade, but it didn't answer my question.
I read exactly this part, and this is why I asked.
I am sending a photocopy of my passport and PR card as part of the already required documents. Both are valid pieces of ID. My question was if these pieces of ID can "double dip", or should I add other pieces of ID, like my health card and driver's license.

Cheers

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Questions on the FBI Records

1) For SSN, I put in NA
2) I put in Height in cm, weight in pounds
3) RESIDENCE OF PERSON FINGERPRINTED ?? I guess i've to write my home address in my own hand writing
4) I have the ink pad to take finger prints at home, but to avoid any issues, I am planning to go to a professional centre to take get them taken. Would I need finger prints for the citizenship too ? If yes, may be I can ask them to replicate them or get a digital copy to reuse them
5) There is no way I can send the application first and then send the finger prints later ?

Thanks

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Thank you razerblade, but it didn't answer my question.
I read exactly this part, and this is why I asked.
I am sending a photocopy of my passport and PR card as part of the already required documents. Both are valid pieces of ID. My question was if these pieces of ID can "double dip", or should I add other pieces of ID, like my health card and driver's license.

Cheers
Better to include drivers license and health card as well. Reason being checklist asks for photocopy of passport and PR card, AND 2 pieces of ID. If passport and PR card were enough, why ask for ID again?

It could be for folks who dont have a passpprt or PR card for whatever reason, but why take the risk ? I'm going to submit all 4. Just my 2 cents

nofrills

Jun 5, 2015
Toronto
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
06-07-2015
AOR Received.
06-07-2015
Passport Req..
11-09-2015
LANDED..........
25-09-2015
I was more on US side. If i went to US and came back the same day, I imagine it does count as 1 day in US.
Only a full day away from the country counts as one day - although you still report it in the travel movement document

"As another example, if you leave Canada on July 1, 2013 and return on July 2, 2013, this equals 0 days of absence. You must still declare this as an absence."

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
Questions on the FBI Records

1) For SSN, I put in NA
2) I put in Height in cm, weight in pounds
3) RESIDENCE OF PERSON FINGERPRINTED ?? I guess i've to write my home address in my own hand writing
4) I have the ink pad to take finger prints at home, but to avoid any issues, I am planning to go to a professional centre to take get them taken. Would I need finger prints for the citizenship too ? If yes, may be I can ask them to replicate them or get a digital copy to reuse them
5) There is no way I can send the application first and then send the finger prints later ?

Thanks
Fingerprints for the FBI are a bit tricky to have done correctly, so get a law enforcement officer to take them for you, but advocate for yourself and make sure to double-check with him/her that they've actually taken the time to read the FBI's requirements for fingerprints that are being submitted to them. The first set I sent in, which were taken for me by a serving US police officer, were rejected by the FBI as being of unacceptable quality, so I had to do them again (same officer, slightly embarrassed but thorough the second time around). I think that one can send one's police certificate(s) in to CIC/IRCC after one has sent in one's citizenship application, but I won't be doing that as CIC incompetently/stupidly misplaced my FBI document last time (PR application), and then rudely wrote to me demanding another within 30 days, or else. So I'm waiting for my FBI thing (IdHSC all-clear document) to come back before I send it in with all of my other stuff.

Last edited:

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
Yes you do
For the purpose of tallying the number of days in the last 3 years that I have spent in a foreign country on a company assignment, do I need to count days in which I was present in the foreign country for a partial day (< 24 hours) or may I count only days which I was present for the entire 24 hours?
In other words, do I need to count the day of arrival and the day of departure? That could tip the balance for me to require an police certificate.

Do I understand correctly that as of this morning, October 10, the new application form is not yet posted on the IRCC Citizenship page?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
For the purpose of tallying the number of days in the last 3 years that I have spent in a foreign country on a company assignment, do I need to count days in which I was present in the foreign country for a partial day (< 24 hours) or may I count only days which I was present for the entire 24 hours?
In other words, do I need to count the day of arrival and the day of departure? That could tip the balance for me to require an police certificate.

Do I understand correctly that as of this morning, October 10, the new application form is not yet posted on the IRCC Citizenship page?
The new forms will be posted on October 11. This was announced a week ago. IRCC intentionally doesn't release the forms before they are valid otherwise people would use the wrong forms or submit too early.

Regarding the 183 days: Unlike for residency days, which has clear rules regarding days of arrival and departure (they count as residence in Canada), I am not aware of an explicit rule how to handle these "half-days" when it comes to the 183 day count. Maybe someone else knows more, but generally, unless stated otherwise, I would assume these "half-days" count as days in that other country for the police certificate threshold. This, again, ist just my intuition (at it is always better to be on the safe side).

Reactions: hfinkel

AnilGurung

Nov 9, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPO-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
30-1-2014
Med's Done....
05-02-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
19/02/2014
VISA ISSUED...
25/02/2014
LANDED..........
1/03/2014
one thing that always confuses me will be From and To, i wonder if it is okay to leave the "TO" as Current or the date that i did the application?
Just want to make sure.

Reactions: kma

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
If I remained a resident and maintained sole residence in Canada for a period of 7 months while commuting daily cross-border to the USA on weekdays, returning home each night to Canada, do I need to apply for a police criminal clearance certificate from the US?

stuapp

Star Member
Jan 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 14, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 24, 2015
AOR Received.
Mar 9, 2015
Med's Request
May 8, 2015
Med's Done....
May 20, 2015
Interview........
RPRF Req.: May 18, 2015
I traveled to US on Saturday and came back on Sunday. I still have valid I-94 attached to my passport. Having I-94...does it affect # of days lived in the country? Do I need to submit any other proof to prove I was physically present in Canada? Also, I didn't see date stamp from Canadian Border folks in my passport for the date I returned. Is it normal?
Appreciate your inputs.

Thanks. S

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I traveled to US on Saturday and came back on Sunday. I still have valid I-94 attached to my passport. Having I-94...does it affect # of days lived in the country? Do I need to submit any other proof to prove I was physically present in Canada? Also, I didn't see date stamp from Canadian Border folks in my passport for the date I returned. Is it normal?
Appreciate your inputs.

Thanks. S
You do not need to submit any proof that you have been to Canada at all, unless they send you a residency questionnaire.

If you are a Permanent Resident, you passport sometimes gets stamped and sometimes doesn't when entering the country. It depends, among other things, on the fact if you did or did not use the automated kiosk, the mood of the CBSA officer and arguably the current moon phase :) Jokes aside: No matter if your passport got stamped or not, they did in fact scan your PR card or your Passport. So your border crossings are stored in the CBSA database which IRCC will access during your application.

Reactions: stuapp

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
If I remained a resident and maintained sole residence in Canada for a period of 7 months while commuting daily cross-border to the USA on weekdays, returning home each night to Canada, do I need to apply for a police criminal clearance certificate from the US?
It doesn't matter where you were residing. If you went, say, on twelve two week vacations in france over the last years, you never took up residency in france but still you need the PCC. In your case, you have been to the US more than 183 days and your application will also state, I assume, that you have a job in the US. Therefore they will expect a PCC from the US, I'd say.

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
It doesn't matter where you were residing. If you went, say, on twelve two week vacations in france over the last years, you never took up residency in france but still you need the PCC. In your case, you have been to the US more than 183 days and your application will also state, I assume, that you have a job in the US. Therefore they will expect a PCC from the US, I'd say.
Ouch. So much for submitting our package Oct 11th. That's a 4-6 week delay.