+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changed work closed permit

Oct 13, 2018
According to this , it's possible to change a closed work permit to another employer, they mention that you should secure the new offer and your new employer needs to submit an LMIA.

My question is; if a worker holds a TRV for 2 years, can this person quit one job, remain in the country while looking for another employer to change this permission as long as the time of their TRV is still valid? of course, without working.

Best.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
According to this , it's possible to change a closed work permit to another employer, they mention that you should secure the new offer and your new employer needs to submit an LMIA.

My question is; if a worker holds a TRV for 2 years, can this person quit one job, remain in the country while looking for another employer to change this permission as long as the time of their TRV is still valid? of course, without working.

Best.
No - that's not how it works.

Yes - you can quit your job. However you can only remain in Canada legally as long as your work permit is still valid.

Oct 13, 2018
with the work permit, you mean the paper? or the passport stamp? they both mark the same expiration date but I'm assuming that after someone leaves the job that "paper" is not valid any longer, am I correct?

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
with the work permit, you mean the paper? or the passport stamp? they both mark the same expiration date but I'm assuming that after someone leaves the job that "paper" is not valid any longer, am I correct?
The closed work permit gives you valid status to remain in Canada. The only disadvantage is that you cannot work for any employer other than the employer listed on your work permit.