+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changed to Co-OP program is it ok ?

Zentral13

Nov 22, 2018
Hello I changed my college and program. 1st program was non co-op but the new program has co-op. My study permit is already approved but it was non co-op study permit. IN CIC page it is stated you dont need to change condition of your study permit. So am I good ? Or will I have a problem for co-op with this study permit ?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
can I just get it on border ? showing my letter of acceptance where it states co-op
Dont think so, you can try.
But you dont need the work permit until your coop term starts, so you can start school then apply for co-op, just be sure to have it before you start working in the co-op.

Reactions: Zentral13

Zentral13

Nov 22, 2018
Dont think so, you can try.
But you dont need the work permit until your coop term starts, so you can start school then apply for co-op, just be sure to have it before you start working in the co-op.
thanks for answer can I use my 20 hours per week work time until my co op starts possessing co-op work permit ?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
thanks for answer can I use my 20 hours per week work time until my co op starts possessing co-op work permit ?
The 20 hours a week you can work just like anyone else provided you have the authorization to work in your study permit.
You cant work in the coop until you have a coop work permit, you cant use coop work permit for any other work. Check with your school advisors. Apply at least 3-4 months before you need it.

Reactions: Zentral13

JohnRich30

May 26, 2016
Guys, I am so lost here. I am in my second year and I just realized that a practicum placement is required so I can graduate. The school has offered me an on-campus job to fulfill the requirement. Do I need a co-op work permit to work on-campus even having a study permit authorizing me to work?

Zentral13

Nov 22, 2018
Guys, I am so lost here. I am in my second year and I just realized that a practicum placement is required so I can graduate. The school has offered me an on-campus job to fulfill the requirement. Do I need a co-op work permit to work on-campus even having a study permit authorizing me to work?
Yes you need a co-op work permit if you need to work in an organization as a part of your study.

King.bill

Star Member
Dec 6, 2018
No, you do not need a work permit to work on campus. And there is no restriction to number of hours you work either till the time you are working on campus.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
As I interpret the rules if the work is part of your studies you need a co-op work permit, there doesnt seem to be an exception for on campus. If its a regular job then you dont need co-op permit to work on campus.
But why dont you guys talk to your coop supervisors/academic advisors they will know what is required.