+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changed in nationality - What impact will be to PR Status?

panmaha

Jun 25, 2016
Hi all,

I got Canada PR card valid until mid-2017. Living in Singapore with my Canadian wife and I'm holding Thai Passport currently. We will be back to Canada for good in 2018 when my wife company transfer her back home.

Recently i've been granted Singapore citizenship and due to receive in couple of months and I have to surrender my Thai passport.

I want to know, if anyone can help answer, is that how will it effect my PR status as my nationality has been changed. also by the time we return on 2018, my PR card will be expired and not sure need to apply PRTD to enter Canada?

Appreciate any advice or information.

Regards,
PM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A change in nationality will not effect your PR status.

You will need a PR TD in order to return to Canada in 2018 unless you have a US visa or you are visa exempt and you fly to the US and enter Canada by land.

If you do need to apply for a PR TD, you should do it in good time. They are usually valid for 6 months.

Almost_Canadian

Star Member
Dec 2, 2015
Once you have Singapore nationality, your Singapore passport will allow visa free access to USA. You fly to US and then cross the border by land to Canada.

panmaha

Jun 25, 2016
Hi all,

just wanted to keep updated, I've decided to apply PRTD as do not want to cause inconvenient to my wife and kid. We are planning to return next summer for good. between now and then I'll be visiting Toronto very frequent for business, searching for school for my daughter, etc. At the time of my application the lead time for PRTD was 31 business days.

9/13 - submitted application through VFS Singapore (doc included all as per required with cover letter stating requesting for multi-entry for at least a year, and stating my passport will not be included in this submission as I'll be away for business travel)
9/19 - received email from High Commission of Canada Singapore, stating that my application was accepted and asked me to submit my passport
9/21 - submitted my passport through VFS
9/25 - collected back my passport with PRTD counterfoil stating 1-year multi-entry RC-1

will be applying PRC with expedited request once moved there.

regards,
PM