+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change status from visitor to worker inside Canada

Babarulzaman

Apr 3, 2015
Hello All,

Does anyone have experience in changing their status within Canada from a visitor to worker?

1. What forms do you fill out?
2. What challenges did you face?
3. Is it better to search for jobs from your home country than trying to find one inside Canada
4. How did you search (online, local ads, walk in to HR?)

Anyone with similar experience I would appreciate your response. I am trying to find out for a friend who already has her visitor visa. But she is feeling adventurous I guess. I advised her that it is not possible or at the very least it will be next to impossible because all employers look for persons who already have legal status (LMIA supported work permit or PR). But she says that people have done it. If so, how?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's certainly difficult because the process is long and expensive for the employer. Before your friend starts worrying about how to apply for the work permit - she needs to worry about finding an employer and job first. That's by far the hardest part. There is no secret to finding an employer. You just have to look everywhere and hope you get lucky.

Once you find an employer, the employer will have to obtain an approved LMIA which requires them to advertise the job for at least a month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role. Then they will have to submit the LMIA application for processing - which will take several months and cost the employer $1K in fees.