+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change Spouse visitor visa to Dependant Visa

raj123.r

Jul 5, 2019
Hello,
I'm on a work permit from last one year. I got married recently and my wife came to Canada last week with visitor visa (assuming it's a dependent visitor visa - added marriage certificate as well). At port of entry, the immigration officer given stay for only 6 months even though she is dependent on me. She didn't received any landing paper on arrival at port of entry. I would like to know what I can do to extend her visa and get landing paper from immigration for adding her to Ontario health card. It will be great if anyone can respond for below questions.

Is there any process to change her visa to dependent visitor visa to get landing paper?
Does it work if I apply open work permit for her?
Do I need to apply any visa extension a month before visa validity (6 months period) if work permit is approved?

Thank you.

Prateek1193

Star Member
Jun 15, 2014
Hello,
I'm on a work permit from last one year. I got married recently and my wife came to Canada last week with visitor visa (assuming it's a dependent visitor visa - added marriage certificate as well). At port of entry, the immigration officer given stay for only 6 months even though she is dependent on me. She didn't received any landing paper on arrival at port of entry. I would like to know what I can do to extend her visa and get landing paper from immigration for adding her to Ontario health card. It will be great if anyone can respond for below questions.

Is there any process to change her visa to dependent visitor visa to get landing paper?
Do I need to apply any visa extension a month before visa validity (6 months period) if work permit is approved?

Thank you.
You can apply for her SWOP. Required documents are:
A NOC O, A or B job letter
Paystubs (3 minimum)
Marriage certificate
Copy of your PGWP

You can go to one of the Niagara port of entries and get her work permit within few hours. If you choose to do it online, do it at least 3 months prior to the end of visitor visa. 3 months is the current time frame for online applications. After that she can go to Service Ontario and apply for her health card.

raj123.r

Jul 5, 2019
You can apply for her SWOP. Required documents are:
A NOC O, A or B job letter
Paystubs (3 minimum)
Marriage certificate
Copy of your PGWP

You can go to one of the Niagara port of entries and get her work permit within few hours. If you choose to do it online, do it at least 3 months prior to the end of visitor visa. 3 months is the current time frame for online applications. After that she can go to Service Ontario and apply for her health card.
Thanks for the response. Are you saying I should a get a letter from my company to apply for her work permit? I stay an hour from Niagara port of entry. Can you please give in detail information so can go there with all documents?

Prateek1193

Star Member
Jun 15, 2014
Reactions: raj123.r

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Thank you.
Your wife is just a regular visitor. There is no dependent visitor visa. She should apply for a SOWP even if she doesn’t want to work.

raj123.r

Jul 5, 2019
Thank you. I have contacted one of the lawyer and he is saying I should change status in my work permit to married and add spouse details then apply for SOWP. My work permit was applied by company so can't update it. Does anyone faced same situation, please suggest if you know any information on this scenario?