+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of where we will move - is that an issue?

jennylee844

Sep 30, 2014
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2014
AOR Received.
15-01-2015
Med's Done....
29-08-2014
Hello All;

I am a Canadian, and my husband is American. We are on month 7 of waiting for paperwork. We originally planned on moving to Ontario (that is where I grew up) as my job is flexible and can work from home in different locations. My husband was recently offered a job out west in Alberta. Does it matter where we end up once we get the approval, or the fact we said we were heading to Ontario in our application but may end up in Edmonton?

Any info would help!

Thanks.

Jennylee

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
No it won't make a difference , as long as your not going to Quebec.

mrsB

Star Member
Apr 7, 2015
Edmonton, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2015
Doc's Request.
10-06-2015
AOR Received.
28-04-2015
File Transfer...
21-05-2015
Med's Done....
26-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
HOPEFULLY SOON!
LANDED..........
SOONEST POSSIBLE TIME! :D
jennylee844 said:
Hello All;

I am a Canadian, and my husband is American. We are on month 7 of waiting for paperwork. We originally planned on moving to Ontario (that is where I grew up) as my job is flexible and can work from home in different locations. My husband was recently offered a job out west in Alberta. Does it matter where we end up once we get the approval, or the fact we said we were heading to Ontario in our application but may end up in Edmonton?

Any info would help!

Thanks.

Jennylee
Hi! I don't think moving will affect the application as long as you inform them(CIC) right away when and where you moved/moving, then you should be good.;) goodluck on your application! ;)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
mrsB said:
Hi! I don't think moving will affect the application as long as you inform them(CIC) right away when and where you moved/moving, then you should be good.;) goodluck on your application! ;)
There is no need to inform CIC.

jennylee844

Sep 30, 2014
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2014
AOR Received.
15-01-2015
Med's Done....
29-08-2014
Thanks all. I didn't think it would be a big deal, but I have been surprised by some of the things that are considered big deals by CIC, so thought I would at least get a second opinion.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
Roxie-B said:
what wrong with moving from ontario to quebec after PR? ???
Not after PR, but to do the landing.

DanSlh

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2014
Brazil
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
File Transfer...
07-05-2015 AOR2............: 15-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
02-07-2015
Roxie-B said:
what wrong with moving from ontario to quebec after PR? ???
The problem is that you have to apply for CSQ right after SA is issued.

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
MiriamT said:
Not after PR, but to do the landing.
I was talking with a few CBSA officers in Plattsburgh NY, several of them said they have no issues with someone landing at that border who intend on living in another part of Canada. So I don't know where this rumor started, or if someone met an officer on a bad day that turned them away, but the rumor apparently isn't true.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
saria1 said:
I was talking with a few CBSA officers in Plattsburgh NY, several of them said they have no issues with someone landing at that border who intend on living in another part of Canada. So I don't know where this rumor started, or if someone met an officer on a bad day that turned them away, but the rumor apparently isn't true.
It's not landing somewhere while intending to live in another part of Canada plain and simple, but the fact that Québec has their own part of the process (for which there's a Federal-Provincial agreement, or else the CSQ wouldn't be a necessary step for those immigrating to Québec) and they require a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ). If you come to land in Québec without CSQ but still intending to live there, they could let you in but not 'activate' your PR status until you have a CSQ in hands, or send you to land elsewhere. I have not heard of refused entry, only the first two.

When I received a call from my visa office insanely early in the morning (there was a 6 hour time zone difference), the officer speaking to me explained about how to get them to send my passport back to me — I was in Canada and would send my passport through FedEx, open an account, provide the visa office with my FedEx account information, and have them send it back to me and send the bill to me —, and also that I could not land in Québec. I can't remember whether this was in the letter that I received from them, but I think it wasn't. I was in BC and landed at the nearest border crossing, very far away from Québec, heh. :p

If the PR moves to Québec after landing that's not a problem because of provisions in the Charter (mobility rights), however.

I'll see if I can find an official publication about it, what I could quickly find (and I'm leaving home now) was the following (not official):

"The issue of intended destination has become the subject of a department memorandum. Applicants landing in the Province of Quebec without a valid Quebec Certificate of Selection and who appear destined to Quebec, will not, pursuant to current department directives, be admitted as a landed resident. Where it appears to the POE officer that the intended destination is the Province of Quebec, landing will be deferred until a valid CSQ has been procured."

Source: http://www.immigration.ca/en/immigration-wiki2/43-canada-immigration/157-the-landing-process.html (there's more in the link)

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
MiriamT said:
It's not landing somewhere while intending to live in another part of Canada plain and simple, but the fact that Québec has their own part of the process (for which there's a Federal-Provincial agreement, or else the CSQ wouldn't be a necessary step for those immigrating to Québec) and they require a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ). If you come to land in Québec without CSQ but still intending to live there, they could let you in but not 'activate' your PR status until you have a CSQ in hands, or send you to land elsewhere. I have not heard of refused entry, only the first two.

When I received a call from my visa office insanely early in the morning (there was a 6 hour time zone difference), the officer speaking to me explained about how to get them to send my passport back to me — I was in Canada and would send my passport through FedEx, open an account, provide the visa office with my FedEx account information, and have them send it back to me and send the bill to me —, and also that I could not land in Québec. I can't remember whether this was in the letter that I received from them, but I think it wasn't. I was in BC and landed at the nearest border crossing, very far away from Québec, heh. :p

If the PR moves to Québec after landing that's not a problem because of provisions in the Charter (mobility rights), however.

I'll see if I can find an official publication about it, what I could quickly find (and I'm leaving home now) was the following (not official):

"The issue of intended destination has become the subject of a department memorandum. Applicants landing in the Province of Quebec without a valid Quebec Certificate of Selection and who appear destined to Quebec, will not, pursuant to current department directives, be admitted as a landed resident. Where it appears to the POE officer that the intended destination is the Province of Quebec, landing will be deferred until a valid CSQ has been procured."

Source: immigration.ca/en/immigration-wiki2/43-canada-immigration/157-the-landing-process.html (there's more in the link)
The key wording though "Applicants landing in the Province of Quebec without a valid Quebec Certificate of Selection and who appear destined to Quebec, will not, pursuant to current department directives, be admitted as a landed resident." You are free to land there, you just can't look like your going to move there. So an American who receives the CoPR that wants to land, and will be returning to tie up loose ends before moving, is actually free to land there and it won't be denied. You are also free to land in Quebec with a truck load of stuff, IF you can show them proof that you won't be moving there, but rather cutting through Quebec. I'd assume a deed or lease, job offers etc would all show sufficient evidence you have no intent of living in Quebec, but another province. Now, if you try and land with all your worldly possessions, without that proof, then yes, you will run into a problem and probably be sent away.

So we're both right.... The problem lies where people get this confused and give misleading information, leading everyone to think they can't land in Quebec.