+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of status

destiny

Jun 2, 2008
Hello everyone,

This is my first time to post a message at CIF and I like to impart my immigration experience as follows:

Nov 2005 - arrived in Canada with a Work Permit
Nov 2006 - applied for PR
Dec 2006 - AOR received
Aug 2007 - Medical
Oct 2007 - Passport requested
Nov 2007 - Visa received
Feb 2008 - Landed
April 2008 - PR card obtained

I've gone through a bit of confusion before the final stage as I decided to get married in Philippines. To avoid the consequences of misrepresentation, I postponed the wedding until I got my PR Card. Few months after I received my PR card I went back to Philippines and pursued the wedding. I'm in Canada now and ready to sponsor my husband. I hope everything's okay with my sponsorship. I'd like to ask if what is the next step to do to change my status?
Thank you and good luck to everybody!

LCS

May 5, 2005
Don't you just love hearing this. This person got in to Canada on a work permit, wasn't sponsored by a Canadian, a naturalized Cdn or even another landed immigrant.
Then was able to apply for PR a year later in November 2006. My FAMILY CLASS PR for my HUSBAND started Sept. 2006, 2 months before her NON-Family general PR application so about the same time. This person landed in Feb 2008 and is going to now sponsor a second landed immigrant into Canada.
I'm a third generation Cdn and my husband is still not here. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Canada Immigration. I'm disgusted. There is something really screwed up when processing of Family Class is taking a back seat to the open general PR system that starts with a work permit. I'm getting second rate treatment in the country where I was born and people with work permits are granted PR's before my Family Class case.
Reviewing our case has taken longer you say? Shouldn't BE that way if the CIC resources were being used FOR Family Class applications as the priority BEFORE people brought in on work permits.
I've always said big business such as hotel and tourism has been buying off the Gov't for work permits to bring people to fill their job needs.
This makes me sick.

destiny

Jun 2, 2008
LCS said:
Don't you just love hearing this. This person got in to Canada on a work permit, wasn't sponsored by a Canadian, a naturalized Cdn or even another landed immigrant.
Then was able to apply for PR a year later in November 2006. My FAMILY CLASS PR for my HUSBAND started Sept. 2006, 2 months before her NON-Family general PR application so about the same time. This person landed in Feb 2008 and is going to now sponsor a second landed immigrant into Canada.
I'm a third generation Cdn and my husband is still not here. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Canada Immigration. I'm disgusted. There is something really screwed up when processing of Family Class is taking a back seat to the open general PR system that starts with a work permit. I'm getting second rate treatment in the country where I was born and people with work permits are granted PR's before my Family Class case.
Reviewing our case has taken longer you say? Shouldn't BE that way if the CIC resources were being used FOR Family Class applications as the priority BEFORE people brought in on work permits.
I've always said big business such as hotel and tourism has been buying off the Gov't for work permits to bring people to fill their job needs.
This makes me sick.
Hi LCS,

I'm sorry to hear that...

mecajel

Oct 30, 2007
even if u dnt change ur status it's okay, u can still sponsor ur husband.. I came from philippines too and my husband is just waiting for visa, I started his application last Dec. 27 2008... and probably 1 week from now he gonna get his visa...

mecajel

Oct 30, 2007
just use the name that u already hve in passport, in ur PR , etc etc, so it's gonna be easier for u...

destiny

Jun 2, 2008
mecajel said:
just use the name that u already hve in passport, in ur PR , etc etc, so it's gonna be easier for u...

Thank you so much Mecajel...I appreciate your response. This definitely is a good news. Congratulations for both of you! I presumed Filipino ka rin...

mecajel

Oct 30, 2007
yup filipina ako :d... bsta make sure that all the document lists that they are asking is in your file... and make sure no missing documents and make sure lahat me signature :D Godbless...

destiny

Jun 2, 2008
mecajel said:
yup filipina ako :d... bsta make sure that all the document lists that they are asking is in your file... and make sure no missing documents and make sure lahat me signature :D Godbless...
Thank you again Mecajel. This will help me a lot...God bless too...

mecajel

Oct 30, 2007
and mke sure if he gonna get a police clearance, it says visa canada not travel abroad, otherwise if it's travel abroad the immgration gonna ask u another one... and make sure u gonna get cenomar sa nso and ur marriage cntract from NSO 2...

destiny

Jun 2, 2008
mecajel said:
and mke sure if he gonna get a police clearance, it says visa canada not travel abroad, otherwise if it's travel abroad the immgration gonna ask u another one... and make sure u gonna get cenomar sa nso and ur marriage cntract from NSO 2...
I got this all done already except the marriage contract. It shld be released this week from NSO. My next step is for my husband to have a medical this week.