+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

change of status visitor to work permit -- can I do it at the border?

abedelia

Star Member
Oct 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I have a visitor record while I stay in Canada with my husband. We have a spousal PR application in progress and my visitor record is valid through July. I have been offered some part-time consulting work in Canada by a company and the immigration consultant who is working with the company seems to think I should be able to get a work permit easily based on the fact that I'm a US citizen and my profession is on the NAFTA list of LMO-exempt professions. If I don't get the work permit, that's OK, but I would like to do the job. The company's immigration consultant is in the process of applying for a "pre-authorization" for a temporary work permit on my behalf.

My question is, if this is approved, then I will have to get a "change of status" correct? From my visitor record to my work permit? Can this be processed at the border? I know that temporary work permits can be issued at ports of entry but I am not sure if this type can because I'm already inside Canada (in fact, my current visitor record was issued from as an inside Canada application because it was an extension to a previous visitor status).

Anyone know?
Thanks!