+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of Status after COPR

ro24sharma

Apr 8, 2019
Hi, I recently received my COPR. However, I have had a change of status (ie married) after I had sent my passport to Canada to get my COPR.
My medical expires in February of 2022.

Can I go to Canada and get my PR status stamped, return and go back at a later date OR will I have to apply for my spouse's PR and then go to Canada to get the stamp?
We don't plan to move to Canada immediately but after a year or so.

Please advice. Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I recently received my COPR. However, I have had a change of status (ie married) after I had sent my passport to Canada to get my COPR.
My medical expires in February of 2022.

Can I go to Canada and get my PR status stamped, return and go back at a later date OR will I have to apply for my spouse's PR and then go to Canada to get the stamp?
We don't plan to move to Canada immediately but after a year or so.

Please advice. Thank you.
You cannot use your COPR to land.

It is mandatory that you notify IRCC that you have gotten married and return your COPR. You must then add your spouse to your application and have your spouse complete the medical, PCC, etc. IRCC will then process your spouse's application and issue a new COPR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that not only is it mandatory, you won’t be able to sponsor your spouse in the future if you land without updating your COPR as marrried.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
DO NOT use the COPR to land. As the others have adviced, you WILL NEVER be able to apply to sponsor your spouse in any of the normal route if you do so. Add your spouse to your application, get medical when it's requested, PCC, and wait for a new COPR with both of you and your spouse.

ro24sharma

Apr 8, 2019
Thank you all. However I have been contacting the Government/IRCC but have not received a response. My concern is what if my medical expires and I do not receive a response?
I have sent multiple updates along with the proof of documentation but nothing yet.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you all. However I have been contacting the Government/IRCC but have not received a response. My concern is what if my medical expires and I do not receive a response?
I have sent multiple updates along with the proof of documentation but nothing yet.
With adding your new spouse to your application, your medical will likely expires before everything is finalized. So wait for it.

DO NOT land before adding your spouse. He/She needs to go through medical, police, security and background check.

ro24sharma

Apr 8, 2019
Does anyone know how much time the IRCC takes to reply? I sent them an update for this more than a month ago and have not received any updates. My only concern is my current COPR getting null and void due they not replying to my change of status.
Is there any other way to reach them apart from the email they provided on the application page? Please let me know. Thanks for all the help.

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Does anyone know how much time the IRCC takes to reply? I sent them an update for this more than a month ago and have not received any updates. My only concern is my current COPR getting null and void due they not replying to my change of status.
Is there any other way to reach them apart from the email they provided on the application page? Please let me know. Thanks for all the help.
You can call IRCC.