+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

change of NOC code

DETCHIE

Oct 31, 2008
hi BC GUY and leon, presently i'm working here in alberta,canada under the low-skilled pilot project. i work as a warehouseman(noc code 7452). my employer wants to sponsor me to AINP but the code is not eligible. i'm a machine operator for 7 yrs back in the philippines. my employer and I wants to change it to metal working machine operator(noc code 9514/semi-skilled) but have no ideas on how to start . my employer is willing to train me as a machine operator.i still have 10 months before my 2-year contract expires. by the way, my company is a network of steel service centres providing a comprehensive range of products and services.
what steps should we take to change noc code 7452 to code 9514?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Talk to Service Canada. Your employer might need a new LMO to change your work permit. The problem is that you are running out of time. Under the semi skilled program in AB, you have to work for 6 months before your employer can apply for your PNP nomination. If you have to get a new LMO to change NOC codes, then work for 6 months, your work permit is probably up and you have to leave for 4 months because that is the rule when you are not on a skilled permit. Of course you could then apply for a new permit and come back, work for 6 months again and then apply for PNP. Talk to the AINP about this as well. You can call them at 1-877-427-6419 Maybe they have some ideas on what you can do, maybe you don't have to work for 6 months before applying since you are staying with the same employer.

DETCHIE

Oct 31, 2008
my point of doing this is to file my pnp nomination before i finish my 2 yr contract and just wait my nomination while in the philippines. i know it's a risk but i'm willing to take my chances. another option is to go back in the philippines for 4 mos and my employer will offer a semi-skilled occupation this time(noc code 1471/semi-skilled).as i've said before my past jobs experience was machine operator for 7yrs.if i go back here in canada under noc code 1471, still i'm not eligible for nomination since at least 4yrs of related experience is required to be nominated under AINP-semi skilled(just 1yr work experience as warehouseman in the phil). does it make sense leon? i'm sure you have a better option to offer given service canada would still insist that i work another 6 mos under the new work permit.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The problem is if you apply for AINP, you have to stay with that employer until you get your PR. If AINP hears that you are not working there anymore, doesn't matter if you left the country or not, they will cancel your application. I have this verified from AINP myself as one of my coworkers was wondering what would happen to his application if he changed jobs.

The only way you can put in an application without having to work for 6 months and without having to go home for 4 months is if your employer can upgrade you to a skilled permit. That means a job where the 2nd digit of the NOC code is 1, 2 or 3 OR the first digit of the noc code is 0