+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of nationality during the process of application

mullum

Aug 29, 2016
I searched for information regarding this in this forum many times, I read some people changed their nationality after PR was granted and it went ok, but I'm wondering if anyone here has changed nationality during the process of application?

Do you think change of nationality during the process of application can cause any problem?

I'm a Japanese citizen by birth and currently live in Australia as permanent resident.
I'm going to get Australian citizenship after I lodge my application for Family class (Spouse).
Once Australian citizenship is granted I'll need to surrender my Japanese passport as Japan doesn't accept dual citizenship.

Thanks,
Mullum

cheng9999

Dec 14, 2015
mullum said:
I searched for information regarding this in this forum many times, I read some people changed their nationality after PR was granted and it went ok, but I'm wondering if anyone here has changed nationality during the process of application?

Do you think change of nationality during the process of application can cause any problem?

I'm a Japanese citizen by birth and currently live in Australia as permanent resident.
I'm going to get Australian citizenship after I lodge my application for Family class (Spouse).
Once Australian citizenship is granted I'll need to surrender my Japanese passport as Japan doesn't accept dual citizenship.

Thanks,
Mullum
In your case, you will have to work things out with CIC. The reason is you won't be entering Canada on your original passport of application as you won't have it. The COPR information has to match your travel document.