+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of address as permanent resident

Lanaloo

Sep 20, 2012
Hi,
I've been a permanent resident for 4 years. We are now moving to a different location in Canada. I seem to recall somewhere that if I move, I should notify CIC of my new address. But if I go to the website, it only talks about changing address for people who are applying for something. My PR card just has my name and some numbers. It doesn't mention my address. So am I supposed to notify them of my change of address, or is it not necessary?

Also, does my wife, who sponsored me, need to notify them of the change of the address? I know that in the U.S., if one sponsors someone and files an "Affidavit of Support," then one must notify USCIS every time one changes address. I'm not sure if it works that way in Canada. (?)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Lanaloo said:
Hi,
I've been a permanent resident for 4 years. We are now moving to a different location in Canada. I seem to recall somewhere that if I move, I should notify CIC of my new address. But if I go to the website, it only talks about changing address for people who are applying for something. My PR card just has my name and some numbers. It doesn't mention my address. So am I supposed to notify them of my change of address, or is it not necessary?

Also, does my wife, who sponsored me, need to notify them of the change of the address? I know that in the U.S., if one sponsors someone and files an "Affidavit of Support," then one must notify USCIS every time one changes address. I'm not sure if it works that way in Canada. (?)
No you don't have to report a change of address to CIC if you are a Permanent Resident.