+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change name

Windragon100576

Star Member
Feb 27, 2014
I would like to ask if there won't be any problem if I change my name on my PR CARD?

So here is the situation. I was married in the Philippines and came here in Canada with the married name. I am divorced here in Canada and remarried. But in Philippine law annulment is the only option and they don't honor the divorce. So I can't change my name on my passport yet. So is it possible to change my name on my PR CARD and will still have my previous name on my Philippine passport? Will it complicate things?

Thank you

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Windragon100576 said:
I would like to ask if there won't be any problem if I change my name on my PR CARD?

So here is the situation. I was married in the Philippines and came here in Canada with the married name. I am divorced here in Canada and remarried. But in Philippine law annulment is the only option and they don't honor the divorce. So I can't change my name on my passport yet. So is it possible to change my name on my PR CARD and will still have my previous name on my Philippine passport? Will it complicate things?

Thank you
I'm pretty sure the name on your PR card must match the name on your passport, and in order to change your name on the PR Card you need to show your passport in the same name. so no, i don't think it's possible to have 1 name on a passport and another on the PR Card. I'd imagine you'd run into issues traveling if for some reason CIC actually allowed that.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
CDNPR2014 said:
I'm pretty sure the name on your PR card must match the name on your passport, and in order to change your name on the PR Card you need to show your passport in the same name. so no, i don't think it's possible to have 1 name on a passport and another on the PR Card. I'd imagine you'd run into issues traveling if for some reason CIC actually allowed that.
Yep, Windragon100576 will need to change the name on his/her passport first before changing the name on the PR card.

Windragon100576

Star Member
Feb 27, 2014
CDNPR2014 said:
Thank you for that :)