+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change name after or become a Canadian citizen?

tankala13

Feb 22, 2012
it's not missing any part. my last name is the same, but my first name is now changed to a new name, and I already attached the name change certificate to the application at the beginning. but the citizenship test invite came under the former name.
My main concern is to have my correct new name on my certificate and passport.
Your name should have changed if you applied initially. I would suggest you talk to the immigration officer during your interview after the test. He is going to validate all your documents and you can mention about the name change. Local office can accept a name change request during the process of the application. Better to complete this process before the Oath as you ahve all the documents right now.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/identity/name-change-requests-purposes.html

aminteger

Jul 13, 2015
Alright, now you have option change after you get citizenship certificate.
Apply Proof of Citizenship($75) under name change.(almost 5 Months process) then apply for new canadian passport with correct name.
but why? what did I do wrong? I changed my name before applying for citizenship just to avoid this!
my citizenship test is on Feb 12. do I have a chance to talk to the officer at the interview and show him the documents again? ( name change documents are already on file though )

does webform help?

tankala13

Feb 22, 2012
but why? what did I do wrong? I changed my name before applying for citizenship just to avoid this!
my citizenship test is on Feb 12. do I have a chance to talk to the officer at the interview and show him the documents again? ( name change documents are already on file though )

does webform help?
Yes Webform helps. When you login into ECAS does it have a new name or the old name? I did the mistake of not selecting the name change checkbox while submitting. And after couple of months while checking the copy of the application i sent (kept a photocopy) i saw I didn't check the option.
I sent a webform and the local office accepted the change and my ECAS reflected the same. I got GCMS notes to confirm.

aminteger

Jul 13, 2015
Your name should have changed if you applied initially. I would suggest you talk to the immigration officer during your interview after the test. He is going to validate all your documents and you can mention about the name change. Local office can accept a name change request during the process of the application. Better to complete this process before the Oath as you ahve all the documents right now.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/identity/name-change-requests-purposes.html
Thanks. I will try my best to fix it asap.

tankala13

Feb 22, 2012

does webform help?
During the interview the officer would talk to you. They are nice guys. They will ask you to verify your information once again after the test and ask you to sign a form with your test scores. So you can talk to those guys during that time. Dont' worry, it will be all ok. You have to take all the documents in original to verify on the day of the test. After the test they would call you for an interview, check your passports for travel records and then ask you to sign a document after you verify your name and dob.

aminteger

Jul 13, 2015
Yes Webform helps. When you login into ECAS does it have a new name or the old name? I did the mistake of not selecting the name change checkbox while submitting. And after couple of months while checking the copy of the application i sent (kept a photocopy) i saw I didn't check the option.
I sent a webform and the local office accepted the change and my ECAS reflected the same. I got GCMS notes to confirm.
I just submitted a webform. keep fingers crossed.

CANADA IMMIGRATION

Jul 15, 2016
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes

does webform help?
Hello Friend,

I am also preparing for citizenship application, and I too belongs to Regina SK and did my legal name change process completed from eHealth. Once i got the certificate I had changed all my ID's with the new names i.e. SK ID, DL, SIN, Bank Accounts, etc. but did not changed the PR Cards and COPR. I am also very concerned that we should all family members get the citizenship certificate with new names. I am sure they would still consider our old names per the PR cards/Landing papers and Indian passports.

But my situation could be different from you. I did not changed my first names and last names, We have all the family members have all names in family name sections on PR Cards, and landing papers (COPR) and on Indian passports all the names are entered in given name section (surname section is blank).

Becksterd

Apr 15, 2010
Edmonton, AB
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
05-2013
IELTS Request
14-02-2014
Med's Request
10-2013
Med's Done....
11-2013
Passport Req..
02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-2014
LANDED..........
04-2014
Does anyone have experience with name reversal for new cad passport?
do you also need to change the cad citizen cert?

skinny123

Jan 18, 2018
Hi,
I am just gathering my documents to submit for my citizenship application and I am confused on what to do. I got married here in Canada 2 months ago but I am not ready to change my last name for at least a year or 2. Can I submit my application with my current last name (maiden name) and change this before applying for my Canadian passport or before my oath ceremony? I think I should have changed my last name by then. I will really love my Canadian passport to have my husbands last name but don't want any additional delays due to this.

dextro590

Star Member
Oct 23, 2020
i am an indian citizen. here is my total experience

well i was also in dilemma to change name after or before citizenship. Then i decided to go before citizenship because that way even in India it will be on record.
these are the steps i did

In India--
1.Applied for central Gazette Notification-- prepared document and cost me around 10000rs and submitted in Delhi.The processing time is 3 months.
A notary attested by Indian consulate in canada is required and it took me 1 week.
2.Meanwhile i also did a legal name change in canada while i am on PR.
In canada the process is so easy and it tool less than 1 month for me to change name I live in saskatchewan so i applied for legal name change from ehealth and they issued name change certificate with in 3 weeks and using this i changed name on all the Canadian IDS.
3. In 4 months they published my name change in central gazette which can be downloaded online.
4. After central gazette then i changed 2 governments ids in india like voterid and birth ceritificate as it is required for applying new passport from indian consulate in canada.
5. then i prepared all the documents for passport renewal with change of name. This is the worst part. I appiled with all the necessary documents to indian consulate in vancouver. They did there part with in 2 weeks. But they said they requested a police verification from india and they are waiting for clearances from india. To receive clearance from india it took 7 months . After 7 months it got my indian passport with change of name.

6. then i applied for new PR card as it required indian passport copy. I got it in 3 months.

7. then i applied for canadian citizenship.

Total process took me 14 months to change my name.

This is my experience.

let me know if u need any help.

thanks
Do you (or anyone here) know if it's mandatory to update the name on the passport from your home country (India in your case) before you apply for the Canadian citizenship application, provided you completed the legal name change in Canada?

Since it's likely that you'll be using a Canadian passport once your citizenship application is approved, it seems like a hassle to change the passport from your home country before applying for your Canadian citizenship.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Do you (or anyone here) know if it's mandatory to update the name on the passport from your home country (India in your case) before you apply for the Canadian citizenship application, provided you completed the legal name change in Canada?

Since it's likely that you'll be using a Canadian passport once your citizenship application is approved, it seems like a hassle to change the passport from your home country before applying for your Canadian citizenship.
No, it's not mandatory. (I don't know about cases where name change is done outside Canada). Do check that you provide all the other docs/ID cards required.

Mum2Can

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
01-10-2020
Med's Done....
13-11-2020
Hi Friends / Experts @tankala13, @ganapathi, @aminteger

My wife name was changed (from Lee Sam Smith to Lee Tom Taylor - middle & last name changed) after PR (COPR has old name and PR Card has new name) with legal name change document from Ontario, post that we have updated PR Card, OHIP, SIN and all other legal document including home country passport with new name, now during Citizen application it was sent with old name as question aligned in application such that new legal name question was coming last (refer screenshot).

Now today we have received Citizen AOR received with old name as per COPR, does old name or new name will reflect on Citizen Cerificate?

Can you please let us know your though, input and how it resolved in your case. any suggestions?

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi Friends / Experts @tankala13, @ganapathi, @aminteger

My wife name was changed (from Lee Sam Smith to Lee Tom Taylor - middle & last name changed) after PR (COPR has old name and PR Card has new name) with legal name change document from Ontario, post that we have updated PR Card, OHIP, SIN and all other legal document including home country passport with new name, now during Citizen application it was sent with old name as question aligned in application such that new legal name question was coming last (refer screenshot).

Now today we have received Citizen AOR received with old name as per COPR, does old name or new name will reflect on Citizen Cerificate?

Can you please let us know your though, input and how it resolved in your case. any suggestions?
Can't see the screenshot you refer to, but it sounds like you* completed the forms using the OLD NAME, and then added info about the NEW NAME only later in the forms. Completely backwards: since you have changed your name to a new legal one, that is the one you use to complete the forms. They quite naturally read the application filled out as Lee Sam Smith as being ... the applicant's actual na,e.

(I'm guessing a bit but this should be obvious: when you go somewhere now, you use your new name, because ... that is now your name. Only exception might be change of name forms.)

Try calling IRCC to straighten it out. Worst case, you may have to withdraw and resubmit, but hopefully won't come to that.

* where I've written 'you' refers to whomever the applicant was i.e. your spouse.

Mum2Can

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
01-10-2020
Med's Done....
13-11-2020
Can't see the screenshot you refer to, but it sounds like you* completed the forms using the OLD NAME, and then added info about the NEW NAME only later in the forms. Completely backwards: since you have changed your name to a new legal one, that is the one you use to complete the forms. They quite naturally read the application filled out as Lee Sam Smith as being ... the applicant's actual na,e.

(I'm guessing a bit but this should be obvious: when you go somewhere now, you use your new name, because ... that is now your name. Only exception might be change of name forms.)

Try calling IRCC to straighten it out. Worst case, you may have to withdraw and resubmit, but hopefully won't come to that.

* where I've written 'you' refers to whomever the applicant was i.e. your spouse.
Thanks for your response. somehow the image is not getting added correctly.

Yes, the application was sent with old name, as it was asked the name as per CoPR and subsquent question was have you change name after PR and new legal name then I have added new legal name.

Let me add information from application as below:
Your name
Family name (Last name) : Smith
Given name(s) (First name) - include middle name if applicable: Lee Sam
Have you changed your name since becoming a permanent resident? : Yes
New legal name
Family name (Last name): Taylor
Given name(s) (First name) - include middle name if applicable: Lee Tom
Upload documents: Lee_Canada_Ontario_Legal_Name_Change_Document.pdf
Have you ever used any other name? No