+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change name after or become a Canadian citizen?

JEDI-007

Star Member
May 30, 2012
Thanks for your response. somehow the image is not getting added correctly.

Yes, the application was sent with old name, as it was asked the name as per CoPR and subsquent question was have you change name after PR and new legal name then I have added new legal name.

Let me add information from application as below:
Your name
Family name (Last name) : Smith
Given name(s) (First name) - include middle name if applicable: Lee Sam
Have you changed your name since becoming a permanent resident? : Yes
New legal name
Family name (Last name): Taylor
Given name(s) (First name) - include middle name if applicable: Lee Tom
Upload documents: Lee_Canada_Ontario_Legal_Name_Change_Document.pdf
Have you ever used any other name? No
Question they ask about name is "Your full name as shown on your Record of Landing (IMM 1000), Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688), or Last Permanent Residence Card (PR Card)."

If you have already changed your name on PR card then it should be as per your Last PR Card i.e. new / latest name.

dextro590

Star Member
Oct 23, 2020
Hi Friends / Experts @tankala13, @ganapathi, @aminteger

My wife name was changed (from Lee Sam Smith to Lee Tom Taylor - middle & last name changed) after PR (COPR has old name and PR Card has new name) with legal name change document from Ontario, post that we have updated PR Card, OHIP, SIN and all other legal document including home country passport with new name, now during Citizen application it was sent with old name as question aligned in application such that new legal name question was coming last (refer screenshot).

Now today we have received Citizen AOR received with old name as per COPR, does old name or new name will reflect on Citizen Cerificate?

Can you please let us know your though, input and how it resolved in your case. any suggestions?
I submitted my citizenship application using my old name and then got a legal name change in Ontario while that was processing. I then submitted a copy of my legal name certificate through the webform. While your case is slightly different, I suggest you submit a webform as well, to confirm it's reflected in your profile. If your get the citizenship certificate in your old name, you have to go through the same process all over again.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If your get the citizenship certificate in your old name, you have to go through the same process all over again.
To clarify on this: if one gets citizenship application in old name and has a chagne-of-name legal document, I'd HIGHLY recommend applying for passport (in new name - show cit cert + change of name doc), and only AFTER that apply for an updated citizenship certificate. (Because you have to return the old cit cert and that process can take quite some time) [And side note that one can safely ignore the citizenshp certificate and never get it changed if you don't care, because no-one ever asks to see it if you have a passport, and for anyone who does ask to see it, the old cit cert + change of name would be fine anyway.]

That said: bettter to get IRCC to update the application via webform or other. I'd also generally recommend changing name before applying for citizenship and then change name after- just to avoid any delays in citizenship app.

Reactions: Mum2Can

Mum2Can

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
01-10-2020
Med's Done....
13-11-2020
Question they ask about name is "Your full name as shown on your Record of Landing (IMM 1000), Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688), or Last Permanent Residence Card (PR Card)."

If you have already changed your name on PR card then it should be as per your Last PR Card i.e. new / latest name.
Yes, ideally I should go with new legal name but because of below questions I have added old name as per CoPR and new name while answering below question
Have you changed your name since becoming a permanent resident? : Yes
New legal name

Mum2Can

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
01-10-2020
Med's Done....
13-11-2020
I submitted my citizenship application using my old name and then got a legal name change in Ontario while that was processing. I then submitted a copy of my legal name certificate through the webform. While your case is slightly different, I suggest you submit a webform as well, to confirm it's reflected in your profile. If your get the citizenship certificate in your old name, you have to go through the same process all over again.
Thanks for your reponse. I'm waiting to reflect citizen application into tracker if it's with new name then we are good else I have to call IRCC as well as send web form. I believed while submitting web form I have to choose "Add document to your application" catgory and include Ontario legal name change document (which I have already added during citizenship application) + new name Indian passport + DL + OHIP + any affidavit etc..

Could you or @armoured please confirm if this documentation sufficient to send via IRCC form

dextro590

Star Member
Oct 23, 2020
To clarify on this: if one gets citizenship application in old name and has a chagne-of-name legal document, I'd HIGHLY recommend applying for passport (in new name - show cit cert + change of name doc), and only AFTER that apply for an updated citizenship certificate. (Because you have to return the old cit cert and that process can take quite some time) [And side note that one can safely ignore the citizenshp certificate and never get it changed if you don't care, because no-one ever asks to see it if you have a passport, and for anyone who does ask to see it, the old cit cert + change of name would be fine anyway.]

That said: bettter to get IRCC to update the application via webform or other. I'd also generally recommend changing name before applying for citizenship and then change name after- just to avoid any delays in citizenship app.
This makes sense but are you sure we can apply for a passport using a citizenship certificate that has the old name and a legal name certificate done after becoming a citizen?

I also thought of changing my name before applying for my citizenship application but didn't take that route considering that it would be a bigger hassle if IRCC asked me to get my name changed on the current passport from my home country.

However, changing the name after submitting a citizenship application but before getting it finalized has its own limitations. I was asked to come in for a brief interview, where the interviewer scanned my most recent ID (in my new name) and said the background verification has to be done again as it was previously done in my old name.

Last edited:

dextro590

Star Member
Oct 23, 2020
Thanks for your reponse. I'm waiting to reflect citizen application into tracker if it's with new name then we are good else I have to call IRCC as well as send web form. I believed while submitting web form I have to choose "Add document to your application" catgory and include Ontario legal name change document (which I have already added during citizenship application) + new name Indian passport + DL + OHIP + any affidavit etc..

Could you or @armoured please confirm if this documentation sufficient to send via IRCC form
When I sent them the webform with the name change certificate, they replied back saying that my file has been updated with the new name but it wouldn't be reflected on the tracker. I think it's fine as long as you submitted the DL and name change certificate (both in your new name).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mum2Can

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
This makes sense but are you sure we can apply for a passport using a citizenship certificate that has the old name and a legal name certificate done after becoming a citizen.
Yes, I am 100% certain.

I also thought of changing my name before applying for my citizenship application but didn't take that route considering that it would be a bigger hassle if IRCC asked me to get my name changed on the current passport from my home country.
IRCC does not do that. If resident in Canada, and with a legal name change in Canada, you have changed your name in Canada. Period.

However, changing the name after submitting a citizenship application but before getting it finalized has its own limitations. I was asked to come in for a brief interview, where the interviewer scanned my most recent ID (in my new name) and said the background verification has to be done again as it was previously done in my old name.
This is my point - extra steps in citizenship process. Perhaps not a big deal, but I rather assume most want the citizenship application to go through quickly and smoothly. So one can get it done during the process, but I stick with my recommendation: better before applying or after citizenship certificate received.

Reactions: fièrementcanadien

Mum2Can

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
01-10-2020
Med's Done....
13-11-2020

UPDATE:

My wife received citizenship test invite email with new name, so we are good to go with new name.. Thanks friends for your input and suggestions.

Reactions: dextro590

dextro590

Star Member
Oct 23, 2020
UPDATE:

My wife received citizenship test invite email with new name, so we are good to go with new name.. Thanks friends for your input and suggestions.
All the best! I'm still waiting for an invitation for oath nearly 3 months after the interview, where they said they have to do another background check as the previous one was done in the old name fml lol

• Wow
Reactions: fièrementcanadien

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
All the best! I'm still waiting for an invitation for oath nearly 3 months after the interview, where they said they have to do another background check as the previous one was done in the old name fml lol
^^This is an example of why I suggest to either get the name change before or after the citizenship application, and not during. Not that it's a big deal, but most would probably prefer not having to wait longer for citizenship.