+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change name after or become a Canadian citizen?

unsvn.it

Star Member
Dec 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NSVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2015
AOR Received.
10-07-2015
Med's Request
11-12-2015
Passport Req..
15-03-2016 (DM: 16-03-2016)
My friend is currently holding PR and will apply for citizenship in a year. He would like to change his legal name to an English name.

If he changes name before citizenship application, would his citizenship appliciation be considered 'non-routine' due to name change?

Could anyone recommend if he should change name now, or after submit citizenship application but before oath ceremoney or after citizenship is granted?

If he waits until he becomes a citizen then change name, does it mean he will apply for new citizenship certificate only or he has to go through the whole citizenship process again (test/interview and oath?)

Your help is appreciated!

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
I think changing name before or after shouldn't affect the application . And NO he won't have to be a citizen again as he can only be a citizen once .
#askingforafriend

Reactions: unsvn.it

yanesrahn

Oct 7, 2008
ontario
Visa Office......
Buffalo
App. Filed.......
12-01-12
Nomination.....
28-11-11
AOR Received.
15-02-12
Med's Request
15-02-12
Med's Done....
21-02-12
Passport Req..
08-05-2013 received 10-05-20113
My friend is currently holding PR and will apply for citizenship in a year. He would like to change his legal name to an English name.

If he changes name before citizenship application, would his citizenship appliciation be considered 'non-routine' due to name change?

Could anyone recommend if he should change name now, or after submit citizenship application but before oath ceremoney or after citizenship is granted?

If he waits until he becomes a citizen then change name, does it mean he will apply for new citizenship certificate only or he has to go through the whole citizenship process again (test/interview and oath?)

Your help is appreciated!
I would suggest do it now, do the legal name change at the province, change the PR card, and all the local IDs Driving License, Health card etc.. then apply for the citizenship.. It is going to be easier, summit all the supports.. maybe take a little longer but the other way around will be more time. Just my opinion

ganapathi

Jan 30, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2014
AOR Received.
29-05-2014
Med's Request
10-02-2015
Med's Done....
04-03-2015
Passport Req..
29-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-05-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
I would suggest do it now, do the legal name change at the province, change the PR card, and all the local IDs Driving License, Health card etc.. then apply for the citizenship.. It is going to be easier, summit all the supports.. maybe take a little longer but the other way around will be more time. Just my opinion

yes i did in the same way. i did a legal name change while i am on PR and then applied for citizenship. I became citizenship in 10 months after applying. So that means it doesn't affect your citizenship application if you did a legal name change while on PR.

figaro2

Jan 12, 2016
Argentina
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-01-2016
Doc's Request.
15-01-2017
Nomination.....
08-02-2017
AOR Received.
28-03-2017
Med's Done....
20-07-2017
Passport Req..
3 nov 2017
LANDED..........
31 01 2018
yes i did in the same way. i did a legal name change while i am on PR and then applied for citizenship. I became citizenship in 10 months after applying. So that means it doesn't affect your citizenship application if you did a legal name change while on PR.
I am resident in toronto and i want to apply for a name change i would like to know about ur experience please how much time did it take to have the name changed :)

ganapathi

Jan 30, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2014
AOR Received.
29-05-2014
Med's Request
10-02-2015
Med's Done....
04-03-2015
Passport Req..
29-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-05-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
I am resident in toronto and i want to apply for a name change i would like to know about ur experience please how much time did it take to have the name changed :)
i am an indian citizen. here is my total experience

well i was also in dilemma to change name after or before citizenship. Then i decided to go before citizenship because that way even in India it will be on record.
these are the steps i did

In India--
1.Applied for central Gazette Notification-- prepared document and cost me around 10000rs and submitted in Delhi.The processing time is 3 months.
A notary attested by Indian consulate in canada is required and it took me 1 week.
2.Meanwhile i also did a legal name change in canada while i am on PR.
In canada the process is so easy and it tool less than 1 month for me to change name I live in saskatchewan so i applied for legal name change from ehealth and they issued name change certificate with in 3 weeks and using this i changed name on all the Canadian IDS.
3. In 4 months they published my name change in central gazette which can be downloaded online.
4. After central gazette then i changed 2 governments ids in india like voterid and birth ceritificate as it is required for applying new passport from indian consulate in canada.
5. then i prepared all the documents for passport renewal with change of name. This is the worst part. I appiled with all the necessary documents to indian consulate in vancouver. They did there part with in 2 weeks. But they said they requested a police verification from india and they are waiting for clearances from india. To receive clearance from india it took 7 months . After 7 months it got my indian passport with change of name.

6. then i applied for new PR card as it required indian passport copy. I got it in 3 months.

7. then i applied for canadian citizenship.

Total process took me 14 months to change my name.

This is my experience.

let me know if u need any help.

thanks

Reactions: swan0206 and Coco7

figaro2

Jan 12, 2016
Argentina
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-01-2016
Doc's Request.
15-01-2017
Nomination.....
08-02-2017
AOR Received.
28-03-2017
Med's Done....
20-07-2017
Passport Req..
3 nov 2017
LANDED..........
31 01 2018
i am an indian citizen. here is my total experience

well i was also in dilemma to change name after or before citizenship. Then i decided to go before citizenship because that way even in India it will be on record.
these are the steps i did

In India--
1.Applied for central Gazette Notification-- prepared document and cost me around 10000rs and submitted in Delhi.The processing time is 3 months.
A notary attested by Indian consulate in canada is required and it took me 1 week.
2.Meanwhile i also did a legal name change in canada while i am on PR.
In canada the process is so easy and it tool less than 1 month for me to change name I live in saskatchewan so i applied for legal name change from ehealth and they issued name change certificate with in 3 weeks and using this i changed name on all the Canadian IDS.
3. In 4 months they published my name change in central gazette which can be downloaded online.
4. After central gazette then i changed 2 governments ids in india like voterid and birth ceritificate as it is required for applying new passport from indian consulate in canada.
5. then i prepared all the documents for passport renewal with change of name. This is the worst part. I appiled with all the necessary documents to indian consulate in vancouver. They did there part with in 2 weeks. But they said they requested a police verification from india and they are waiting for clearances from india. To receive clearance from india it took 7 months . After 7 months it got my indian passport with change of name.

6. then i applied for new PR card as it required indian passport copy. I got it in 3 months.

7. then i applied for canadian citizenship.

Total process took me 14 months to change my name.

This is my experience.

let me know if u need any help.

thanks
Thank you for sharing your experience
I am not willing to change my name in my country because it s not allowed so i will have to have a new passport first and then do the name change in ontario
Thanks again

Tony98

Sep 25, 2018
Thank you for sharing your experience
I am not willing to change my name in my country because it s not allowed so i will have to have a new passport first and then do the name change in ontario
Thanks again
You'd better do the name change in Ontario first, then to have a new Canadian passport, that will be easier. Changing name in ON doesn't need Canadian passport and Canadian citizen status.

aminteger

Jul 13, 2015
Hi everyone.

I changed my name in Ontario in 2018, then applied for citizenship in 2019 with my name change certificate, and mentioning about my name change in the forms. I received my citizenship test invitation today, but it is under my former name. Does it mean my citizenship certificate and passport are also coming under my former name?! I don't want it to happen. what should I do?

Thanks

visaforca

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Calgary
Hi everyone.

I changed my name in Ontario in 2018, then applied for citizenship in 2019 with my name change certificate, and mentioning about my name change in the forms. I received my citizenship test invitation today, but it is under my former name. Does it mean my citizenship certificate and passport are also coming under my former name?! I don't want it to happen. what should I do?

Thanks
Yes, they use same name as on your Current Passport and PR Card.

tankala13

Feb 22, 2012
No need to change your name on PR Card. There is an option in citizenship application regarding name change. Change your name in all other places, except for PR Card and then apply for citizenship.

aminteger

Jul 13, 2015
in your case is missing last or first name ? if yes then they will add XXX on your candian passport.
it's not missing any part. my last name is the same, but my first name is now changed to a new name, and I already attached the name change certificate to the application at the beginning. but the citizenship test invite came under the former name.
My main concern is to have my correct new name on my certificate and passport.

visaforca

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Calgary
it's not missing any part. my last name is the same, but my first name is now changed to a new name, and I already attached the name change certificate to the application at the beginning. but the citizenship test invite came under the former name.
My main concern is to have my correct new name on my certificate and passport.
Alright, now you have option change after you get citizenship certificate.
Apply Proof of Citizenship($75) under name change.(almost 5 Months process) then apply for new canadian passport with correct name.